78 Antigua Precision Bass build.Maple Fretless.

instagator

Anyone wonder what happened to the last Antigua P Bass body on the showcase? Here it is...

A while back I was able to pick up a near mint 78' Precision maple fretless neck .From what I've read the most rare of the fender Antigua series was the maple fretless.I always wanted to have one,but everything on the market is either way outta sight cost wise or beat and discolored.The orig.neck fit perfectly.Big Props to the paint shop...killer job..Pickups are Curtis Novak Charlie Christian style.All hardware is 70's vintage,pots are CTS with a 047 Angela Inst.cap.Here's the pics,The body shots were taken at a slight angle to stop glare..they give the illusion that the neck is not quite lined up with the body..I assure you that everything is straight as can be.Thanks again,Gregg...Spike..and everyone else at Warmoth..I'll post to the Gallery soon...Cheers.

P8080026.jpg

P8080024.jpg

P8080028.jpg

P8080047.jpg

P8080037.jpg

very nice!

never been a fan of the antigua burst, but this bass really pulls it off. Another top build!

Thanks for posting that. I've always had trouble picturing the Antigua burst and that looks WAY better than I imagined. Totally cool. More and more I'm realizing that I suck at envisioning a finished guitar. That bass is one I'd be proud to own. :icon_thumright:  (well minus the fretless - I'm not ready for that hehehe).

Man that's gorgeous.  The first picture kind of threw me a bit, I don't know that I've ever seen a maple fret-board fretless.  I agree that I always pictured Antigua looking different, but seeing this I have got to say I really dig it.  Really cool build there Instagator.

I want you to know... I hate you....

This is by far the coolest bass I've ever seen, I LOVE it.

Great work!!!  :rock-on: :rock-on: :rock-on: :rock-on:

This bass is so weird to me. In a good way.
First, I always find fretless p-basses to a weird thought. I have never seen one in person, and I have heard one. I always think of jbasses or basses with soap bars. Ever since seeing a picture of one a while ago I have been dying to hear one or try it out.
And also the maple fretboard messes me up. Never seen that before, so it took me back, but it looks cool and classy.
I thought maple wasn't fit for fretless and would wear down?

Great work tho, looks fantastic. Any chance of sound clips? I'm really interested.

Micahbell said:

thats not necessarily true..

Flatwound strings are typically the best way to go because they dont wear at the wood very easily.
but many players (including me) prefer Roundwound strings because of their brighter tone.

on a maple board like this, roundwounds would probably tear it up, but it should be fine if you used flatwounds.

line6man said:
Micahbell said:

Flatwound strings are typically the best way to go because they dont wear at the wood very easily.
but many players (including me) prefer Roundwound strings because of their brighter tone.

on a maple board like this, roundwounds would probably tear it up, but it should be fine if you used flatwounds.

Agreed. I had a friend back in the mid '70's with a Fender maple-necked fretless P-Bass who used an assortment of strings. In time it did become slightly worn in appearance (as did the rest of the bass) - but that was OK by him......because it played and sounded 'right'  :laughing7:

line6man said:
Micahbell said:

Hmm...I wonder how half wounds would do...if it wouldn't be a problem, then I would be sold on trying this out.

i have never even seen Half-Rounds, so i have no comment.
but have you considered epoxy-ing your fingerboard?
i bought a neck with a goncalo alves fingerboard (thats in another thread) and i had it epoxied because i didnt want to destroy the fngerboard.
the epoxy is totally awesome and now i never have to worry about roundwounds again because the fingerboard is protected.

You put something over Goncalo Alves...

???

Sigh.

Well you've got the right. At least you picked good wood.  :icon_thumright:

Back