720 mod question

Johnny Roastbeef

Hello,
              I plan on a rear route strat so it will have no pick gaurd- so I will be getting the 720 mod.

My question is: Will the regular length neck screws be too long/go into the fretboard? Or will they work just fine?

I am just trying to learn all I can from the guys who know so my build turns out nice. I have learned there is more to a great build than what I first thought.

- Thank you for your help in advance!  :guitarplayer2:

I'd definitely double check before screwing them in, just to be sure... The shorter screws are needed for bodies with the heel contour and even shorter screws if you have both the heel contour and 720 mod. Source - my own builds.

frown said:
I'd definitely double check before screwing them in, just to be sure... The shorter screws are needed for bodies with the heel contour and even shorter screws if you have both the heel contour and 720 mod. Source - my own builds.

What would be the best way to check? I am thinking where the high E side of the neck sits in the bottom part of the body's neck pocket.

Also- do you know a good place to get shorter screws? I will start looking just in case this comes into play.
                                Thank you for your help  :guitarplayer2:

Johnny Roastbeef said:
    What would be the best way to check? I am thinking where the high E side of the neck sits in the bottom part of the body's neck pocket.

Also- do you know a good place to get shorter screws? I will start looking just in case this comes into play.
                                Thank you for your help  :guitarplayer2:

Warmoth do sell screws for contoured heels [see http://www.warmoth.com/Neck-Screws-C847.aspx ], however, I ended up buying some stainless steel ones from an online machine shop [http://www.accu.co.uk in UK] after measuring as I discovered the 720 mod plus a contoured heel means the Warmoth ones are too long!

caliper.gif

The way I checked, was by using a vernier caliper to depth check the screw holes of the neck and then added the thickness of the heel wood on the body. Simple math for a 720 mod only - as all 4 screws should be the same length. You could just hold a ruler to the treble side of the neck / heel and position it where the screw would go, allowing for a neck plate thickness and some breathing room so you don't penetrate the fingerboard!

If you get a contoured heel, then you'll find the need for shorter lengths for specific holes, as the angle throws the consistency and you'd ideally optimise the length of screw for each hole to gain as much wood contact as possible.

frown said:

I use a machinist ruler, I worked in a couple of machine shops over the year and had access to a ton measuring stuff, but for some reason my trusty steel rule is what I kept.
I suppose I wouldn't have had any issues if I had Verniers, maybe I'll put a set on the wish list for Christmas.

Both of my Soloist are square heeled so no issues there, even with the 720 Mod.
BUT I did run into that issue recently with the contoured heel on my bolt neck Warlock.

I bought standard length screws, as my local shop was OOS on contoured sets.
So I cut the two that were too long down with my dremel, and even at that I didn't account for settling....

LUCKILY they were just a Hair's Breadth  to long, no fingerboard protrusion, but I had this nasty fret out between 15 - 19 I COULD NOT figure out till one of my good friends who is Legit Luthier mentioned shaving a little more off the OAL off the tapered side screws.

BOOOM.... problem solved.

I am going with just the 720 mod and the standard heel not the contoured so I will make sure to measure on the high E side like Frown mentioned.

I really like this forum and the people here. I have asked alot of questions, some of which were simple, but it is still nice to ask people who know instead of getting all sorts of different answers by searching online. Not once has anyone acted like a stuck up know it all smart a$$ and tried to put me down.

I know to most of you it is just common courtesy to treat people the way you want to be treated but on alot of forums you can't even ask a question without someone telling you to " use the search " or just being a pud in general. Asking your own questions sometimes yeilds ways of doing things you never thought of- like the ways these guys measured for the proper screw length.

Anyways thank you gents for all your help and just generally being cool people.  :guitarplayer2:

Johnny Roastbeef said:

I am going with just the 720 mod and the standard heel not the contoured so I will make sure to measure on the high E side like Frown mentioned.

I really like this forum and the people here. I have asked alot of questions, some of which were simple, but it is still nice to ask people who know instead of getting all sorts of different answers by searching online. Not once has anyone acted like a stuck up know it all smart a$$ and tried to put me down.

I know to most of you it is just common courtesy to treat people the way you want to be treated but on alot of forums you can't even ask a question without someone telling you to " use the search " or just being a pud in general. Asking your own questions sometimes yeilds ways of doing things you never thought of- like the ways these guys measured for the proper screw length.

Anyways thank you gents for all your help and just generally being cool people.  :guitarplayer2:

That is what impressed me right from the get go with my first, and one of many Warmoth experiences to come.
I have often referred to coming here as "Going to the library", where as say, I consider MLP where all the tuffs go to smoke ciggies, and the Marshall forum is the Raucous end of the playground.

Back