72 P Bass

mvolke1

Just got this yesterday and got the pickups installed and wiring finishing last night. The only screw up was I accidentally set my pickguard on my soldering iron and burned it  :sad:

I'm debating whether to replace it and drill now, or wait. Does anyone know if the holes will be exactly the same if I do the drilling now and change it out later?

This is my first build, but I'm really happy with the Warmoth quality and service.

Anyway, here are the specs:
72 P Bass is swamp ash  :bass:
Maple P neck
Gotoh 201 bridge
Seymore Duncan SB-1 Vintage P pickup
.022 and a .047 cap

Attachments

• IMG_4650.JPG
    IMG_4650.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 591
Yes, your holes will be identical. Feel free to drill now for an easy replacement in the future. Great looking bass!

Knorris said:
Yes, your holes will be identical. Feel free to drill now for an easy replacement in the future. Great looking bass!

Thank you! I was pretty sick to my stomach when I did it.

mvolke1 said:
Knorris said:

Yeah, I know, that really sucks. But look on the bright side: It was just a guard! $40 for a new guard is a lot better than $400 for a new body! Just saying....  :icon_thumright:

BigSteve22 said:
mvolke1 said:
Knorris said:

Yeah, I know, that really sucks. But look on the bright side: It was just guard! $40 for a new guard is a lot better than $400 for a new body! Just saying....  :icon_thumright:

You're fortunate. It sure could have been a lot worse.

Last month, I was almost finished making a new body. All the routing done, comfort contours cut and all that was left were the string through holes. My fixture was wobbly and I ended up with a couple holes off kilter enough it changed the string spacing. I had to start all over with another piece of wood. I'll look at it for a while and eventually probably do something to salvage it but still, I was not thrilled at another week's work and $125 for the wood.

Rgand said:
Last month, I was almost finished making a new body. All the routing done, comfort contours cut and all that was left were the string through holes. My fixture was wobbly and I ended up with a couple holes off kilter enough it changed the string spacing. I had to start all over with another piece of wood. I'll look at it for a while and eventually probably do something to salvage it but still, I was not thrilled at another week's work and $125 for the wood.
Also sounds quite unfortunate, (spelled: REALLY BITES IT!) But, if you just plug the out of whack holes, re-drill in the right place, and hit it with a solid color, you'd have 2 new guitars instead of one. Bonus !!!!  :headbang:

BigSteve22 said:
Rgand said:
Also sounds quite unfortunate, (spelled: REALLY BITES IT!) But, if you just plug the out of whack holes, re-drill in the right place, and hit it with a solid color, you'd have 2 new guitars instead of one. Bonus !!!!  :headbang:
Yeah, that's the way it needs to be done but all the holes need to be filled and re-done. The ferrule holes are off, too. I caught it after it was all done. It'll be a good project when I want to practice spraying (I've been wanting an excuse to make a portable or collapsible spray booth of some sort). Meanwhile, I have other projects to complete first. And I have to figure where the heck to put something like that.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I feel a little better.

All things considered, and the fact that it was my first build, I'm quite pleased.  :bass:

It's at the luthier now for the setup and fret leveling, if needed. Everything else on the build went smoothly. All the drilling and placement of the tuners, strap locks, and pickguard went great. No cracks or issues of any kind. Once I get back from the shop I'll post again.

Attachments

• 72 pbass.jpg
    72 pbass.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 274
  • 72 pbass 2.jpg
    72 pbass 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 433
How cool to have your first one under your belt. Now you can get to enjoying it. As soon as you get it back, that is.

She's all done. I took it to a luthier for setup, and he said it needed a shim, but other than that, just a standard setup. And the shim is pretty standard, too.

I'm super happy with it. Really glad I used the two tone capacitors (.022 and a .047). It rolls off a lot of treble, but it's not too muddy - even when it's all the way off. I notice there are also a lot more tones. You can really dial in a lot of tones.

As for the neck, it plays like a dream and did not need any fret work.

I'm recording tonight with it, so maybe I'll have some sound samples soon.

Attachments

• bass.jpg
    bass.jpg
    922.5 KB · Views: 340
Hey Guys,

Here's a sound sample of the '72 on a tune I wrote and played.

https://soundcloud.com/mvolke1/la-douleur-exquise-101319-101319-519-pm

MAN that thing looks good! I'm such a sucker for the 72 P Bass. Really loving the black with the blue pickguard.

Nice work!

Personally, I LOVE the burn mark. Not only do I think it looks cool as heck, it’s now uniquely yours.

Back