7/8 T style, first build and a few general questions.

Hi,

i'm planning to build a 7/8 Telecaster wich i hope would look close to the VA standard Pro L.C. I have, and will obvisouly have, some questions.

Here are my first:

1- I'll probably will install Lindy Fralin P90 pickups (easier to find than Seymour Antiquity in Switzerland). I realize they don't have the same dimensions as Seymour Duncan P90. Could it be a problem with the pickup rout of the body ? (i will have to make the pickguard myself anyway).

2-I'm considering a rear rout cavity with a pickguard above it. I've read a lot about it and will order long shaft pots, but still i have'nt found the exact thickness of the wood i'll have to drill. Does anyone know ?

3- i've also read a lot about pots (250K or 500K) seems like 500K and 0.22uF are the recommended values to go with P90. What about a compromise, 250K volume, 500K tone ? Bad idea ? 🙃

4-Do you know if Warmoth can sell some off menu pickups ? Like Seymour Antiquity P90?

I think that's all for today...

Thanks a lot for reading !

1. If you are using noiseless Fralins, refer to this thread. On the pickguard Warmoth offer a P90 pickup rout for the 7/8 tele pickguard.
2. My suggestion, either go front or rear rout. Do one or the other
3. Subjective at the end of the day but all using a 250K volume would do is be a little darker.
4. Ask Warmoth sales

Thanks for your answer !

1. It won't be hum cancelling ones, but still not easy to have the exact dimensions of Warmoth body routs.

2- I'm afraid i have no choice as i more or less want to copy this shape, and there is no way to have a strat style rout, and T style rout wont fit this. That's why i'm trying to get the thickness, but i guess it will fit with long shaft pots, and a bit of rerouting on the wood for the switch (i'll go for a Gibson style switch).

kmhopvmxugmnzm685bps.jpg

3- Thanks ! I'll buy both :)
4- Sure, i will do :)

Thanks again for taking time to answer

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer !

1. It won't be hum cancelling ones, but still not easy to have the exact dimensions of Warmoth body routs.

2- I'm afraid i have no choice as i more or less want to copy this shape, and there is no way to have a strat style rout, and T style rout wont fit this. That's why i'm trying to get the thickness, but i guess it will fit with long shaft pots, and a bit of rerouting on the wood for the switch (i'll go for a Gibson style switch).

View attachment 62307

3- Thanks ! I'll buy both :)
4- Sure, i will do :)

Thanks again for taking time to answer
Are you going for that vintage white?

That looks awesome.

2: Long shaft pots. Rear rout and pickguard is cool because you get the protection of a scratch plate but easy access to the electronics without loosing strings.

3. If you really want to dial it in, you could always start with 500k pots per Fralins suggestion and add a resistor to drop the vol pot resistance as needed.. You can also alligator clip in various capacitors before committing to soldering the tone pot. I like the Mojotone CTS audio pots.

@Richard Starkey okay now I see what you are trying to do.

In this case, if you use a rear rout, and you make your own pickguard then I would just remove the control cavity wood at the front to convert it to a top rout. Then mount the controls on the pickguard with short shaft pots.

You would, of course, retain the rear control cavity access, should it be needed.

If you really want to dial it in, you could always start with 500k pots per Fralins suggestion and add a resistor to drop the vol pot resistance as needed.. You can also alligator clip in various capacitors before committing to soldering the tone pot.
What Hodgo said!!!

Keep in mind a 250k pot is no different than a 500k turned down halfway. You are literally not gaining anything by starting at 250k.

Rear route seems like a good solution for this project. The pickguard would be placed for the sake of appearance, though it is not used to mount the pickups. P90s are more easily mounted to the wood using direct mounting. (As long as the P90 shells are the correct size to fit the Warmoth route).

A blade switch might be challenging to fit in the total depth. I understand the plan is to use a toggle which should be easier.

Hi,

i'm planning to build a 7/8 Telecaster wich i hope would look close to the VA standard Pro L.C. I have, and will obvisouly have, some questions.

Here are my first:

1- I'll probably will install Lindy Fralin P90 pickups (easier to find than Seymour Antiquity in Switzerland). I realize they don't have the same dimensions as Seymour Duncan P90. Could it be a problem with the pickup rout of the body ? (i will have to make the pickguard myself anyway).

2-I'm considering a rear rout cavity with a pickguard above it. I've read a lot about it and will order long shaft pots, but still i have'nt found the exact thickness of the wood i'll have to drill. Does anyone know ?

3- i've also read a lot about pots (250K or 500K) seems like 500K and 0.22uF are the recommended values to go with P90. What about a compromise, 250K volume, 500K tone ? Bad idea ? 🙃

4-Do you know if Warmoth can sell some off menu pickups ? Like Seymour Antiquity P90?

I think that's all for today...

Thanks a lot for reading !

Richard

I'm not familiar with Fralin's P90s and I'm sure they are great as I have some single coils from them on a Strat BUT I can tell you that the Duncan Antiquity P90s on my Telecaster are just fantastic. They can be nasty/twangy or beautifully jazzy. Unbelievable pickups, truly.
You can get them from Thomann in Germany.
When I got mine it was because I had watched this... and that was a shock! :oops::oops::oops:

Wow, sounds amazing indeed ! Thanks for this :)

But, I already ordered fralins that I had for a reasonable price, Antiquity are way too expansive outside US... :(

One more question:

I ordered Fralin P90 with standard string spacing (50mm) before I realized Tune o matic bridge is 52mm. It seems like it won’t be a problem but Fralin offers 52mm spacing. should i urgently try to update my order ?

thanks

One more question:

I ordered Fralin P90 with standard string spacing (50mm) before I realized Tune o matic bridge is 52mm. It seems like it won’t be a problem but Fralin offers 52mm spacing. should i urgently try to update my order ?

thanks

It’s really a non issue, but you might as well see if you can get it updated if you’re picky.

A 50mm bridge pickup is actually correct for a bridge with 52mm spacing. The P90 at 50mm is already wider than a standard humbucker, which would be 49.3mm. Your bridge spacing is closer to vintage G*bson than a Floyd Rose. 52mm is not wide.

Thank you all for your answers.

I just ordered everything this morning…. Hope I haven’t forgotten anything 😳.

I will probably have many other questions soon !!!

I just ordered everything this morning…. Hope I haven’t forgotten anything 😳.
Congrats.

If you ordered a custom body that’s getting a finish, prepare for a long wait. Not trying to be a downer, just being realistic. 👍

Also, don’t feel bad if you forgot something. I know I’ve ended up buying things from the time I placed the order on the neck and body until, well…..now. You may end up changing something before it’s really DONE.

That’s my feel-good speech!!!

I'm expecting a 16 weeks waiting, maybe more. I might have my new guitar for Christmas. Sounds cool ;)

Your ordered yours recently?

Hello everyone,

I was very surprised to receive my order last week. It arrived much quicker than expected :)

Thanks to incredible team at Warmoth.

There is a blue paper on the box with a few things to check before doing any work. It mention, among other things, to measure the scale length. I did and i’m not sure about the result. Between the nut and the 12th fret i measured 314mm. It means that the total distance between the nut the and bridge saddle (TOM, middle position) should be 628mm. However, i find 635mm. I have’nt screwed the neck on yet.

I guess there’s no way Warmoth made a mistake, as they probably use templates, but i just wanted to check if this difference is acceptable ?

Thanks for reading :)

IMG_71022.jpg

IMG_7110.jpg
IMG_7111.jpg

Back