'65 12-string neck tuner options

elliptic

This may be a dumb question but I've searched and couldn't find it discussed anywhere. For a 65 12-string neck is it better to have 2 sets of 3x3 tuners, so that the orientation is the same on either side, or just 2 sets of 6 where they are "backwards" on one side?

Images I can find of Fenders appear to have left and right tuners e.g. https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=120329

And does it matter, other than aesthetics?

If it were me I'd get two sets one left one right from hipshot with the ump plate and swap all the tuning buttons . Thick strings get silver bean buttons. Thin strings get Pearloid bean buttons. Get the locking tuners.

I did two sets of 3x3. From looking at my neck just now, I think that if you did two sets of 6x6 the high E string would fall off the end of the neck near the nut - there's not enough room there to support a tuning key that's the opposite direction.

Thanks for the info.

Follow up question: I'm looking at these Grover Mini Locking Rotomatics, the description says 13/32" routing, but that is different to the Gotoh/Grover 13/32"-11/32" routing on the custom neck builder page, should I actually choose the Planet Waves option which is just 13/32"?

The spec sheet looks like it says that the bushings are 10mm, if I'm reading it right.

Yeah ... don't get two right hand sets. Get one left and one right. Check out the hipshot website. They list the measurements

Personally, I would use for this purpose a left side and right side set of the following.

That way, you will also not have a weight issue.

The F style as shown in the link in your original post will not fit, as the spacing on Warmoth necks is different from that needed for F style slotted tuners.

I can't see on the neck page where it gives the hole spacing, am I missing something? How can I be sure those in-line ones will fit? They certainly look cool.

I can't see on the neck page where it gives the hole spacing, am I missing something? How can I be sure those in-line ones will fit? They certainly look cool.

If I was not certain, I would not have recommended them. It does not give the spacing of the tuners on the neck page but it is compatible with the vintage tuners that Warmoth sells. The spacing is however not compatible with the F Style 70s tuners.

You can see the choice in the video series that Aaron @aarontunes did. Here is part one.

Warmoth sales will also confirm for you if needed.

Back