'51P influenced Deluxe 5

This is a FANTASTIC looking bass, simply excellent work. Sorry to bump an old thread.

i've never seen this before now, but WOW that thing looks insane! love every part. except maybe the 5 strings  :icon_biggrin:  but to each their own.

update: this bass recently came back into the shop to add a preamp to the controls. I'll be adding a new 3-hole control plate and enlarging the control cavity to accommodate all the goodies. I'll post an update image when I have this wrapped-up and ready to roll back to its home in the midwest

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
update: this bass recently came back into the shop to add a preamp to the controls. I'll be adding a new 3-hole control plate and enlarging the control cavity to accommodate all the goodies. I'll post an update image when I have this wrapped-up and ready to roll back to its home in the midwest

all the best,

R

Welcome back!
Are you going to be a regular poster again soon?
:blob7:

thought you might also be interested to see a couple additional units in what has become a standard model for my line of basses. these have been officially name my Heritage Series™

this one utilizes the same custom 5-string SCPB together with a custom Nordstrand Fat Stack (with coil tap) and a 3-band Nordy preamp. those are real Paua shell inlays on the birdseye neck

RH09501P-AlmostComplete-Front2.jpg

RH09501P-AlmostComplete-Body3.jpg

this one is more of a tribute to the '51 original, but in a lefty. it sports a 1-piece ultralight Swamp Ash body, the same pickup set as the unit above, but a 2-band Nordy preamp instead of the 3-band. this is the best sounding/playing bass I have made

RH09503L-Complete-Front.jpg

RH09503L-Complete-FrontCloseup.jpg

RH09503L-Complete-RearCloseup.jpg

RH09503L-TummyContour-Roughed.jpg

I have two righty 5-strings in the works - one in semi-transparent Butterscotch, and the other in Candy Apple Red with a matching headstock

all the best,

R

line6man said:
Welcome back!

I'm trying to find the balance between building and posting, and it's forced me to spend more time in the shop due to the ever increasing backlog of orders and deposits. I reopened the shop in May 2009 and worked 15 orders before the end of the year, and I already have six in progress for 2010 not counting the work being done to launch the new M-Series

I don't know if I'll be here as much as I used to, but I hope to be here more often than I have the past nine months.

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
line6man said:
Welcome back!

I'm trying to find the balance between building and posting, and it's forced me to spend more time in the shop due to the ever increasing backlog of orders and deposits. I reopened the shop in May 2009 and worked 15 orders before the end of the year, and I already have six in progress for 2010 not counting the work being done to launch the new M-Series

I don't know if I'll be here as much as I used to, but I hope to be here more often than I have the past nine months.

all the best,

R

The last time I talked to you, I think you said your wife had broken her ankle, and you had to give up a few forums due to having to take up the household chores and such?

How does the soloed bridge pickup sound on your basses?

I've known Rod for many years now. (Longer than I've been at Warmoth.)  I had a chance to check out some of his recent work over the weekend.

Based on what I saw, played and heared, I'm predicting great things for Regenerate Guitar Works.  He's going to give Sadowsky, Lull, etc... a serious run for their money.  If I did not already have access to an incredible shop and an interest in doing my own thing, I'd have to seriously, seriously consider one of Rod's 5 strings.

Good luck to ya' Rod!  And if that 6 string prototype ever needs a new home, even temporarily, I could make room amongst the Geckos...

OzziePete said:
Wyliee:
Would it be possible to get a second SCPB rout (in bridge position) on a 51 P-Bass body (Maybe even have the rout flipped so it's a mirror image of the front rout)? Wondering if you'd be able to get a RWRP set of SCPB pickups made & how that would sound.  :dontknow:

I don't know about flipping it, but it might be possible to do a second SCPB in the bridge. Email me if you want to do that: eric@warmoth.com.

As far as a custom set of pickups, it would be easiest to go straight to the pickup company for custom work.

Wyliee said:
OzziePete said:
Wyliee:
Would it be possible to get a second SCPB rout (in bridge position) on a 51 P-Bass body (Maybe even have the rout flipped so it's a mirror image of the front rout)? Wondering if you'd be able to get a RWRP set of SCPB pickups made & how that would sound.  :dontknow:

I don't know about flipping it, but it might be possible to do a second SCPB in the bridge. Email me if you want to do that: eric@warmoth.com.

As far as a custom set of pickups, it would be easiest to go straight to the pickup company for custom work.
Thinking about this a few days on now, and I can see that it might be a pointless exercise.

1) It would probably sound a fair bit like a Jazz Bass combo.
2) Like we see with Jazz Bass pickups, the bridge pickup would have to have a broader polepiece spread to accomodate the wider string spread at the bridge. That would/could mean a longer bobbin and a larger rout required for the bridge pickup. Very custom work I'm afraid.

Given these two points, I'd reckon it would be easier just to rout for two Jazz Bass pickups instead... :doh:

OzziePete said:
1) It would probably sound a fair bit like a Jazz Bass combo.
2) Like we see with Jazz Bass pickups, the bridge pickup would have to have a broader polepiece spread to accomodate the wider string spread at the bridge. That would/could mean a longer bobbin and a larger rout required for the bridge pickup. Very custom work I'm afraid.

You could move the second SCPB pickup route closer to the "sweet spot" position (i.e. not so far from the neck pickup) and this would partially alleviate both of these issues, and still give you a unique tone.

Back