5 way switch mod - Telecaster S/x/S set-up

VostreRoy

Sup folks.

First, no, I'm not high on drugs, I want to use a 5 way switch on my bari-tele build that will have 2 single-coils pickups. Reason why I'm wanting this is because 4 way switch are really hard to find (I don't want to pay 30$ shipping for a 20$ part lol) so I've searched on the web to know if there was a way to wire a 5 way switch, and I've found that:

5way_tele.gif

I'm a total noob when it comes to electronic (in fact, I'm a total noob, period  :toothy12:), so my question is the fellowing: will a normal 5 way switch (like the one in the picture bellow) work with that wiring? Feels like it miss some connectors to match the diagram...

CRL5.jpg

Thanks in advance!

The diagram shows what appears to be a 4P5T switch, while the typical blade switch is DP3T. It will not work.

Need to know more than how many switch positions will make you happy and what you will accept as a compromise. What are you trying to accomplish?

line6man said:
The diagram shows what appears to be a 4P5T switch, while the typical blade switch is DP3T. It will not work.

Straight response, thanks a lot buddy! Might have to stick to a regular switch until I order more stuff on Allparts

Cagey said:
Need to know more than how many switch positions will make you happy and what you will accept as a compromise. What are you trying to accomplish?

The 4 way would have been enough, main reason is that I wanted to have the "Pickup in serie" option. As I had a 5 way switch in hand, I thought that I might go for it instead, but I'd need another switch so I'm screwed lol

If you want to use the 4-way but the only one you can find is "too expensive," consider how much your time is worth, and compare the headache of generating a suitable wiring arrangement to the price of the switch.

Bagman67 said:
If you want to use the 4-way but the only one you can find is "too expensive," consider how much your time is worth, and compare the headache of generating a suitable wiring arrangement to the price of the switch.

Actually, the switch itself doesn't cost more than any regular switch (about 20$). The problem is that neither Warmoth or Stewart & McDonald offer that switch and those are the two companies that I'm dealing with right now. Shipping cost to Canada is about 15-20$, wich is about the price of the switch itself ahaha

Here is where I could get it: http://guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_kitstele.htm

Is it necessary? Obviously not, but its my first build and I try to learn myself different options.

Little update

Found that there is one 5 way super-switch on Stewmac (Link: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Super_Switch.html?tab=Instructions#details). I'll order it with the other stuff I'm missing for my build (with some useful tools). Compared to the one shown by Crash, the only difference is 1/16" depth clearance. At this point, its not that big and I should be able to carve the cavity a little to fit the switch if it doesn't fit in (don't worry, its a 75$ body, not a Warmoth one). I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back