5-way hh wiring diagram

slowist

Hi all, Planning to make my first build, an hh soloist with a 5-way switch and 2 concentric pots (I want 2 volume as well as 2 tone so I can do a les paul-esque killswitch sort of thing without cutting any more holes in the body) and I want to wire it with the following positions: 1. neck series 2. neck parallel 3. neck+bridge series
4. bridge parallel 5. bridge series, But I haven't been able to find any diagrams online for those configurations, I even tried looking up
5-way les paul wirings, but found nothing. The closest I found was this ibanez wiring for 1 volume and 1 tone, so I'm wondering if there's anyone here well-versed in wiring that knows a diagram of the wiring I need, or who could make a diagram matching the one I described (before anyone mentions it, I already considered just using a 3-way, killswitch and mini-switch for the parallel switching, but I don't want anymore holes in the body)

Attachments

• DiM_8poleRev2.jpg
    DiM_8poleRev2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 6,242
What you are looking for is not possible with a blade switch. I was going to suggest a 4P5T Strat switch, but on second thought, you will need six poles to do what you are asking. To the best of my knowledge, nobody manufactures a 6P5T blade switch. You will have to either go with a rotary switch, or change your plan to something that can be done with four poles, so that you can use StewMac's special super switch.

pabloman said:
Maybe get some triple shot rings.

That would be a practical solution, as the wiring would then be simplified to a standard Les Paul scheme.

I would use pots with push/pull function (built in DPDT-switch) and wire them for serial/parallel switching for the pups. That for the volumes. Then use a 3-way switch and wire it up just as "any les paul". That will give you all options you ask for.

...I don't know about those "triple-shots" though, maybe its even more clever:)

Cheers
Bengt

Edit: Sorry, I missed that "concentric pot" idea. That probably kills my solution.

the rotary switch seems like a good solution, found some on stewmac
(http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Switches/Rotary_Switches.html )

Vallhagen said:
I would use pots with push/pull function (built in DPDT-switch) and wire them for serial/parallel switching for the pups. That for the volumes. Then use a 3-way switch and wire it up just as "any les paul". That will give you all options you ask for.

...I don't know about those "triple-shots" though, maybe its even more clever:)

Cheers
Bengt

Edit: Sorry, I missed that "concentric pot" idea. That probably kills my solution.

that's another option, I could use a single concentric pot for the two volumes, and then 2 push-push pots to switch series/parallel on each pickup, but I still need the diagram for wiring. I could use the les paul wiring diagram, but I haven't seen one set for series/parallel push pot switching

I'm considering just going with the ibanez wiring, I'll just buy a super switch off of allparts and i'll have to talk  to a technician about setting it up for 4 pots.

line6man said:
pabloman said:
Maybe get some triple shot rings.

That would be a practical solution, as the wiring would then be simplified to a standard Les Paul scheme.
watched this video from tonefiend about a custom les paul setup that fits exactly what i'm looking for, now that i've seen what triple shots are like it seems like a good idea to go with those instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KcY5rpRkHT0

slowist said:
watched this video from tonefiend about a custom les paul setup that fits exactly what i'm looking for, now that i've seen what triple shots are like it seems like a good idea to go with those instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KcY5rpRkHT0
That does sound good. I also like the on board overdrive. He sells that in a pedal, too. http://www.joegore.com/pedals

Wow, the Duh pedal Joe Gore is, er, peddling, sounds pretty nifty.  I hadn't heard his name in a while.  He used to have an experimental-guitar column in Guitar Player, and has been in Tom Waits's band for a lot of records.  Great player, twisted sensibility.  Nifty.

Bagman67 said:
Wow, the Duh pedal Joe Gore is, er, peddling, sounds pretty nifty.  I hadn't heard his name in a while.  He used to have an experimental-guitar column in Guitar Player, and has been in Tom Waits's band for a lot of records.  Great player, twisted sensibility.  Nifty.
Yeah, he's interesting, to say the least. I suppose I'll need to pick up one of those pedals one of these days.

slowist said:
...I want to wire it with the following positions: 1. neck series 2. neck parallel 3. neck+bridge series
4. bridge parallel 5. bridge series...
wd2hh5l11_04.jpg

LewisCountyLad said:
slowist said:
...I want to wire it with the following positions: 1. neck series 2. neck parallel 3. neck+bridge series
4. bridge parallel 5. bridge series...
wd2hh5l11_04.jpg
I actually came across that diagram while I was searching, but I ended up not using it because it didn't accommodate four pots, although I could probably get it changed to work with 4 pots

The "North Start" is always going to the be the hot out of each pup, right? Why couldn't you just place the vol & tone pots in line (red arrows) before the mega-switch on the diagram? And then just eliminate the vol & tone pots from old diagram and go straight to the jack?

megaswitch_zps5wiwvdh2.jpg

I haven't tried this...just thinking out loud.  :icon_biggrin:

LewisCountyLad said:
The "North Start" is always going to the be the hot out of each pup, right? Why couldn't you just place the vol & tone pots in line (red arrows) before the mega-switch on the diagram? And then just eliminate the vol & tone pots from old diagram and go straight to the jack?

megaswitch_zps5wiwvdh2.jpg

I haven't tried this...just thinking out loud.  :icon_biggrin:

Oh, position three is supposed to be both humbuckers in parallel, with each pickup's coils in series? That's quite different than what I was expecting from the OP. You can do that with a 4P5T switch, just as shown in that diagram.

joe gore sent me a wiring diagram for a les paul with triple shot rings, and it looks like exactly what I need plus the option for phase switching, but now i'm curious about other wirings, I'll have to try a few other mods in the future.

Attachments

• 2H_2TS_3G_2V_2T.jpg
    2H_2TS_3G_2V_2T.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 442
Have triple shots in my main guitar with the GFS Loudmouth pickups installed, so many dang sounds come out of the guitar I almost don't need another guitar....almost...

slowist said:
joe gore sent me a wiring diagram for a les paul with triple shot rings, and it looks like exactly what I need plus the option for phase switching, but now i'm curious about other wirings, I'll have to try a few other mods in the future.

Don't get carried away. Every player goes through the complicated wiring phase, and most grow out of it. A lot of things sound great on paper, but wind up being impractical. Simpler schemes are ultimately best.

Back