4way thinline

riarojr

ok so here's the deal...i'm gettin my last details ready for the exotic tele project and for me to get the pup combos i want i'll need a 4way switch.  the question is whether i'd need a superswitch and if so where i can find one.  here's a 2 minute paint file with the basic idea of it all.  the black coils are the ones active in the switch position to the right of it.  i don't want a push pull pot or anything like that.  all the wiring and electronics are gonna be pretty traditional....it's the woods and materials used that will be the focus of this guitar....

I haven't seen a 4-way switch, would probably have to go a rotary on that. Why not just use a regular 3 way switch with a push-pull volume pot to tap the humbucker?

well i was honestly trying to avoid having any push pulls or other "fancy" stuff but after a talk with a guy at dimarzio it looks like that's the only option i have to get what i want....now exactly how would i wire it to only tap the HB in the neck?  :icon_scratch:

I used to be a fan of push/push or push/pull knobs, losing interest in those real quick.

Can't you do what you want with a normal 5 way switch? figure out one more combination for your pups and your there

well the reason i wanted the 4way was primarily for sheer simplicity and i get the feelin a 5way would sourta comprimise that.  while i'm sure i could wire it for all picipkups in full output i'm not even sure if that would yield a sound i'd actually use....any of you guys had a setup like that?

riarojr said:
well the reason i wanted the 4way was primarily for sheer simplicity and i get the feelin a 5way would sourta comprimise that.  while i'm sure i could wire it for all picipkups in full output i'm not even sure if that would yield a sound i'd actually use....any of you guys had a setup like that?

One of my teles has a neck humbucker and a single coil bridge. I originally wired it with a 3 way switch and a push/pull pot to split the neck pup. I ended up taking the pot out to use in something else. I figured splitting the 'bucker sort of defeated the purpose of it being there.

Have you considered using a rail type pup in the bridge? Wire it up like this and it would give you all the humbucker combinations plus the classic tele settings (sounds you would use) and it would still be understated visually which I think is what you want.

Attachments

• 2hb_1vol_1tone_5way.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 380
oooohh....now this adds an interesting twist to the whole thing  :eek:  actually yeah i was planning on using a dual rail pup in the bridge anyway for output and tonal reasons.... my primary selection as of now is a Dimarzio Chopper T in the bridge and a Hot Minibucker in the neck....  if i could get more info on those bendettos i'd love to try one of those :icon_biggrin:  but yeah i'll mos def take a closer look at that wiring diagram and see if i can use it or mainly if it would feel natural to use while i'm playing..... don't really like axes that make you feel like you're playing a schematic....kna mean?

i do want to be able to play a single coil at the neck tho since i absolutely love the sound of it for some of the stuff i make....

oh man....see now i gotta use more government paper printing up wiring diagrams...might end up takin a little heat on this one. :-\

riarojr said:
oooohh....now this adds an interesting twist to the whole thing   :eek:  actually yeah i was planning on using a dual rail pup in the bridge anyway for output and tonal reasons.... my primary selection as of now is a Dimarzio Chopper T in the bridge and a Hot Minibucker in the neck....  if i could get more info on those bendettos i'd love to try one of those :icon_biggrin:  but yeah i'll mos def take a closer look at that wiring diagram and see if i can use it or mainly if it would feel natural to use while i'm playing..... don't really like axes that make you feel like you're playing a schematic....kna mean?

I sure do! I hate too many knobs and switches. In practise this layout is great for me on a tele. All the 'bucker combos at one end and the trademark tele sounds at the other. However the only way you are going to get every combination and still retain the classic tele control look is with a 3 way switch and 2 push/pull pots.

well i ain't really lookin for the traditional look.....it'll be rear routed with 1 vol and tone setup more strat/ibanez style since it's oh so comfortable to me.  i wsh i had a scanner to show off the design i drew up.  anyway, i'm not sure if i'll go with the tele switch tip or strat one cuz the tele one looks so fat and clunky and i usually like smoother designs but it somehow just looks so right on that body...but why would i need 2 push-pulls?

If you go with two humbuckers and 3 way, a push/pull for each pickup gives you independent options for each.
For instance 3 way position 2 (both pickups on) both pots down = 2 'buckers. Both pots up = 2 s/c. No 1 pot up = s/c + "bucker. No 2 pot up = 'bucker + s/c. Using on/on mini toggles instead of push/pull pots gives you the same result but means more drilling.

Back