30 fret necks

Velcro

Ibanez recently released these beasts:
RG2011SC_Front.png

So, yeah. I don't much care for the bodies, I suppose you'd need special bodies for the heel.

I can't see being able to actually use anything over maybe 25 or 26. 24 is getting pretty damn crowded for me! But I don't doubt that somebody out there is playing the hell out of that thing up and down the neck... That lower horn really needs some work though. They should have gone the Gary Kramer route and just cut the lower horn off all together.

my only question is WHY ?

do we have to turn everything in life into an extreme sport?

How 'bout I sell you some fretwire and you just hammer it in to the body???????????? :headbang:

I remember playing one such guitar in the eighties. Don't remember what it was, Hohner or something, but it was either 30 or 36. And about the only thing you could do on it was gliss. The shorter the string in relation to its diameter, the less it behaves like a string and the more it behaves like a rod. And if you've noticed, even by 21, your low E is pretty wonky.  Complete and utter waste. If you really want the range, get a 7 or 8 string and put a 0.007 on there and tune it to G or even A if it'll take it.

Where is the neck pickup? under the 25 fret? :binkybaby:

If I remember correctly, Washburn sold a guitar in the '80s with a 36 fret neck.  Obviously, it didn't catch on. :icon_smile:

a buddy of mine had a Ibanez Artfield back in the 80's (I think he still plays it) which had 30 or more frets..
it was a great guitar!!

Hmm.....

The Hamer's and others with the angled extensions look better, imo.

I mean, if you're gonna make something like that, why not just go all the way.  Get rid of the single coil, go up to 36 frets and make that baby an 7 or 8 string.    :)

The retooling necessary to accomplish it would hardly seem worth the investment, given the lack of success of this line:
ECAD.JPG

since were at it just take out the bridge pup in exchange for a single coil or piezo and run a fretlees raised glass or metal extension all the way up to the 48th fret position or in the case of the piezo up to the bridge itself.

Back