2Tek bridges

Why couldn't these have been available last week?
My Pbass body shipped yesterday to the UK....it would cost me almost as much as another body to ship it back to Warmoth and then back to me and I've been hunting for a bright nickel trick bridge for it for ages....without success...these would've fitted the bill perfectly.

GRUMBLE

Think jessica might be getting a bridge rethink, and a $150 extra budget added haha.
They look good, so tempted to try one.

By earwax removal he means not listening on laptop/ipod speakers or any other crime against nature foisted on the  public in the past 20 years in the name of consumer audio. I'm not an audiophile, but good speakers don't have to be expensive, and they weren't back when the public was accustomed to putting up with something teetering on the edge between appliance and furniture. Grrumble grumble grumble.

Ohhh look shiney! And tiny! And we can hide the one note resonator over behind the couch! 300h crossover? pfft but they're tiny!

I not only expect the bass bridge to outself the guitar bridge, but I don't expect the guitar bridge to be made for very long simply because it doesn't move. Maybe I should grab one just in case I get the whim. Hardtails are a hard sell, but especially when it involves major commitment (spelled router)

swarfrat said:
By earwax removal he means not listening on laptop/ipod speakers or any other crime against nature foisted on the  public in the past 20 years in the name of consumer audio. I'm not an audiophile, but good speakers don't have to be expensive, and they weren't back when the public was accustomed to putting up with something teetering on the edge between appliance and furniture. Grrumble grumble grumble.
Good point. Hell, just plug in some decent full-can headphones and it's a world of difference.

Twigman said:
Why couldn't these have been available last week?
My Pbass body shipped yesterday to the UK....it would cost me almost as much as another body to ship it back to Warmoth and then back to me and I've been hunting for a bright nickel trick bridge for it for ages....without success...these would've fitted the bill perfectly.

GRUMBLE
Twigman, just sent you a PM. I may be able to help you out.

Very nice comparision video! In the slap playing part there's a noticable difference, quite a bit more bass with the 2 Tek. Interesting!  :toothy10:

Zilmo said:
jim peters said:
Not to be a negative nellie, but I heard little difference between the two bridges. I think that hogging out all the wood and replacing it with metal will make the tone brighter, but the design doesn't lend itself to all the benefits claimed. In my humble opinion.

Have you tried an earwax remover?

No, but I have tried a 2-tek.

Just as an FYI, the bridges have been redesigned and differ from the old models.  They are lighter and with a smaller footprint.  If you tried the old, old models, a re-assessment might be in order.

I must admit, that part confuses, just a bit. In the video we are told that the 2Tek has a lot more mass than the puny little ordinary bridges which we've suffered through for so long, like the Leo Quan Badass bridge (which is advertised as having a lot more zinc-y mass than the puny little Fender bass bridges, that were used on thirty years of classic vintage-toned basses, which we have been led to believe epitomized ~great~ vintage tone). But we all know that zinc sucks, except when it makes Leo Quans better able to reproduce great vintage tone. And mass is good, except - now the new 2Teks have 30% LESS mass? Which is a good thing, because... because... but more mass is... but less.... but if vintage tones were MADE by vin... oh, I am so easily confused. Maybe if someone could BUILD one?

http://www.hansenguitars.com/engine/inspect.asp?Item=640&Filter=Guitars

But not like that. The horrible point is that with all the emphasis on vintageness as correctness, even if there is a great breakthrough in substance, it will be impossible to find out about it from reviewers who are expected to celebrate vintageness at the same time that they extoll newness. Warmoth has to offer their vintage trussrod as well as their modern, and rather than any reviews which could categorically state "The 2Tek is better" we will only get the "celebrate diversity" brainmush.

It's another compensatory tool; but I am building a walnut guitar, so shouldn't I use a vintage bridge to keep from being "too bright?" In order to sound vintage, should a 2Tek be used in a balsawood body? The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

The new 2Tek bridge weight twice of a Gotoh 201.  It's a little over 1lb.  I never tried the bridges when they originally came out years ago so I cannot give you specifics, but the older bridges were larger and heavier.  So... heavier than the average bridge but less than what they used to be.  Hopefully, this helps add a little perspective on weight.

I see where you're coming from though.  Old is better...wait... new is better.... brass, zinc, stainless steel, oh my!!

One of my favorite quotes is from Arnold Swartzenger and comes from his bodybuilding days: "Nothing fails like success."  In essence, what he was saying was that just because something is successful, it doesn't make it the only correct way to do something and that success may only reinforce an incorrect view.  If we have different goals, shouldn't we expect there to be different paths to each goal?  I don't know if that falls under your 'celebrate diversity' brainmush, but that's my stance.  I have different basses I use for different gigs.

Well while I certainly did not hear a difference in the video. The guitar I played that was 2 tek equipped did have a difference, the tone was brighter, and it was easier to do pinch harmonics. I think the reason is that you are hogging out the wood in the bridge area, and replacing it with a metal block, however the rest of the benefits I dont get, there was nothing else I saw about it other than that that was different from a regular bridge. In reality, the "tonal fingers" are in fact not seperate as they all join at the baseplate regardless, and the second thing about this theory that has a flaw is all the strings are joined at the nut additionally, so you still get the transfer between strings regardless. I don't think it's beneficial to hog out the wood at the bridge of a guitar and replace it with metal. You are just altering the natural sound of the guitar. Kind of like an old Ibanez of Eddie Van Halen's and he took out a bunch of wood behind the bridge because he wanted it to look cool, and he has always admitted that ruined the sound of that guitar. I am not trying to insult the product, just give an honest review and opinion on it. If it actually was as magical as claimed I would love it, who doesn't love something that improves a guitar? But sometimes you have to discern between form and function. I am sure this will be met with another classy reply by the owner, instead of defending his product in a mature manner he just wishes to insult. Great business tact.

Wyliee said:
The new phonebook is here!  The new phonebook is here!  Wait.....  The 2Tek bridges are here!

Finally online and ready for sale! :rock-on:

"Huh? I am *not* a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends, and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi... "

I love that movie.

I have a TOM bridge that is machined out of billet steel.  It is much brighter than the standard Brass or Zinc ones.  There is more clarity as well.  However, it is not the best in a bright amp.  You can roll it off with a tone knob, but sort of like Wylie said, it has its place .
Patrick

Well, I'm definitely interested - I mean, I am building a walnut-bodied guitar, with a maple+maple BOATneck, with STAINLESS steel 6100, and a Lawrence L500 pickup of some sort (I've got a variety) - it's not like I'm AFRAID of a little brightness here and there. :laughing8: :laughing7: :laughing11: :laughing3:

Now, there are a lot of (somewhat?) intelligent people out there who are willing to spend some money on sounding good, and so far, the 2Tek website does a pretty good job of avoiding insulting these people. There are two major categories of insult that we are barraged with in  the guitar & bass realm, one is the aforementioned

"Get authentic VINTAGE TONE with our new space-age innovation!"

And the other is, of course, the popular

This Changes EVERYTHING! It's the GAME-CHANGER! Every last thing you thought you'd ever learned about playing in the last 40 years is a BUNCH OF GARBAGE!

So, thanks for the restraint. Now, in looking at the thing (you can too!)

2tek2.jpg

...at the thing, the first thing that strikes me, there is somewhere around 160 to over 200 lbs. of pressure pulling on those fingers, so the plate underneath on the bottom of the instrument must be plenty strong. Clearly the intent of it is to decouple the majority of the mass of each finger from the mass of the rest of the instrument, but if that bottom plate is rigid enough to hold all the fingers straight - how does it work, that the plate doesn't also cause the same degree of "crosstalk" as any other installation of a bridge/body combination?  I could hazard a guess (based on the proportional location of the mass), but I'm no engineer and it would be gobbledegook, even if it was a true guess. As the 2Tek people must have done some research, it would be helpful if their site had a link to it.

In looking at the guitar bridge, it appears that the saddles can be interchanged with a number of different types, which is largely a good thing (though if you really attempt to go head-to-head with the fundamentalists of the "real telecaster" cult, forget it!). The 2Tek has channels for the saddle height adjustment screws, are they interchangeable with either the wide or narrow Graphtech saddles? In fact, what IS the E-to-E width?

In my direct experience, "crosstalk" is the single biggest source of mayhem with guitar synthesizers - can you use the piezo saddles of the Graphtech Hexpander or RMC Polydrive (Godin type)? This could EASILY become the biggest group of buyers of the guitar bridges, if you've made a substantial leap here.

And again on dimensions, we really need to know the exact height of the saddles at their lowest point above the surface of a 1.75" thick body, on the 2Tek site at least.

The performance enhancements of the 2TEK® Bridge comes from individual string isolation...
...coupled with maximum interaction between it and the natural resonance of the instrument body and neck materials.
?
1) Additional mass creates more punch.
2) 35% weight reduction since the original 2TEK Bridge design in the 90's
?

Sustain is measurable, or at least the difference in sustain between two different guitars of equal weight is. I would also guess that the 2Tek could cause a difference in the onset of notes, AKA "attack." Is that what "punch" means too?

I don't know... all those nooks and crannies...

I can just see a pregnant spider coming along, seeing that, and saying to herself "Self? That would make one helluva nice house!"

Next thing you know, you roll out of bed in the morning and grab a cuppa joe, then sit down to practice the lead lines to "Machine Gun" at 130dB to teach the neighbors a lesson. Suddenly, your right hand is a writhing mass of thousands of baby spiders who want to be your friend. Or, at least eat you. They're young and bold and don't know any better yet.

4909860_f520.jpg

Naturally, you scream like a little girl and throw your perfectly good hardtail Soloist across the room and make a mad dash for the bucket of MEK you keep around for just such an occasion. Plunging your hand into the solvent takes care of most of the spider problem, but there's still the issue of the traitorous Soloist. In a moment of clarity, you realize the only thing to do is douse the Soloist in MEK and throw a lit cigarette at it.

Now, nobody's got a house. And that's how it happens.

Of course, if they didn't cost so much, I might be tempted anyway.

Lois_Griffin.jpg

I'll tell ya - meth is helluva drug...

Meh.... actually, the Warmoth video was much better: there's some attempt made to show off the actual hardware.  Yes, the biographies are a tad interesting, but there should be more demonstration of the bridge & the difference from other bridges.  I'd love to hear a side by side test with natural & pinch harmonics.

Back