24-Fret Question

jrfox92

I've been lusting after those new firebird necks and was thinking about a build i hope to do in the future.  I'd like to make an SG and give it a firebird neck, but was wondering if Warmoth's SG's could even take a 24-fret neck. Does anyone have further info on whether or not it's possible?  ???

Could you provide a link to what you're talking about? Who is making 24-fret firebird necks?

Josh said:
was wondering if Warmoth's SG's could even take a 24-fret neck. Does anyone have further info on whether or not it's possible?  ???
As long as you don't pick a middle pickup the option for 24 fret reposition of the neck pup appears in the builder.  Toni Iommi thinks that's a great idea.
b90e60f5e3.jpg

(note: not a Warmoth AFAIK)

If you are asking whether you will be able to REACH the 24th fret, I think that you may have a bit of a rough go, unless the W was willing to do a special 7/8th SG like their 7/8th strats and teles with 24 frets and a 24 & 3/4 inch scale. If you aren't worried about having very easy reach, it's definitely possible without any special phone calls.

Hmm, well I seem to have simply miscounted late at night on the neck, but the question still stood for a later guitar, but thanks, I hadn't added the option for a neck pickup and didn't know that the 24-fret option would show, so now I know that that's simply what I should do. That's a sweet lookin' Iommi SG, though, wouldn't mind having one of those.

The best 24-fret Warmoth option is the 24.75" scale "Warhead" necks, which fit either their "7/8" Strat and Tele bodies or a Mustang or Jaguar variant. They don't make it easy to figure out until you go through the "builder" pages.

It appears as though people like Tony Iommi, Keith Richards, BB King, Joe Bonamassa, Warren Haynes are still able to get nice timber out of Gibson, even if the pickin's are slim for the commoners.... often, they start appearing at concerts and on YouTube with some custom luthier's creations, like Iommi's first few 24-fretters, then all of a sudden they've got a "Gibson" on it. :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: And another $7,000 custom shop model takes flight. The Rush guy and the Journey guy just have to wave around a Paul Reed Smith for a tour or so and Gibson comes a runnin'. :hello2:

There is an epiphone version of the Tony Iommi model

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/SG/Tony-Iommi-G-400.aspx  about $550 on ebay

"It was the same with 24-fret necks. I put money into a company because I couldn't get guitars built the way I wanted them. I had to prove it to the manufacturers.
So I put money into John Birch guitars, and he built my guitars. I had to prove it worked. All of this was done by experimenting and trial and error.
I paid for that myself in the early days to show it could be done. And I paid for all these companies to get the benefits nowadays.
Back then they all said it couldn't be done. I also used locking nuts years and years ago without a tremolo, before locking nuts were the norm." - Tony Iommi

I use 24 fret necks on everything I build , guitar or bass 

it does makes the neck pickup a bit brighter as it is closer to the bridge , but on stage they cut better

And as my 54-year-old hands continue to induce me to mutate into an entirely slide-based lifeform, that 24th fret makes a bigger whoopie. That and a Hipshot Trilogy will buy you a cup of coffee... I now consider 21 & 22 fret guitars to be archaic "mistakes" along with crooked 3+3 string pull, buzzing pickups and six-screw whammies, best suited only for the historical re-enactment guys.

"OH YEAH, Baby - I'm a bluesman! In a jukejoint!"

Sure you are, Fatboy Slim..... squeak, squeak, squeak. buzz, twank....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkpQJO_blUU&feature=related

greywolf said:
I use 24 fret necks on everything I build , guitar or bass 

it does makes the neck pickup a bit brighter as it is closer to the bridge , but on stage they cut better

I know this isn't what you're saying, that a 24th fret helps a guitar cut through a mix.  Aesthetically, most neck pickups are set at the end of a fretboard, but the neck pickup can be repositioned regardless of how many frets are there.  On a bass, P or J typical, the neck pickup doesn't get moved at all for a 24 fret neck.  If a brighter neck pickup or beefier bridge pickup were the goal of a repositioned neck pickup, there's middle position on Strats and pan knobs or separate volumes.

Again, I know it's not what you're saying, but I wouldn't count on number of frets changing what a pickup sounds like.

acoustically the closer to the bridge the brighter the tone as the string excursion is less , simple physics
on a 25" scale the 24th fret is 3/4 "  closer to the bridge  , moving the neck pickup back relative to a 22 fret .

I totally get that, but that's where the pickup is, not how many frets an instrument has.  There's nothing to say a neck pickup reposition can't have a 22 or 21 fret neck.  It becomes an aesthetics issue though because we're not used to a big gap between the neck pickup and fretboard.  Not arguing with the physics of it.  I know the closer a pickup is to the bridge, it's brighter and clearer.  And like the basses I mentioned, there is no reposition on 24 fret necks.

In short, you don't need 24 frets to move the neck pickup towards the bridge.

oh I totally agree with that . 
Buttiing the neck pickup to the end of the fretboard was my point.

And with standard bass routes you are indeed correct as they are quite a bit away from the neck . 

Nothing I build is standard anymore , so I accept all kinds of odd requests .  All are now neck throughs ,  I use the warmoths , fenders and gibsons I have to act as a basis for design, and then let the client dictate what peculiarities they want.

It's an interesting adventure , and every job is a learning experience even after almost 30 years

Back