2011 Mercedes-Benz Emerging Artist Award

Tonar8352

My oldest son Carson was chosen as the winner of the 2011 Mercedes-Benz Financial Emerging Artist Award, which is amazing. He was chosen top out of 10 majors from The Cranbrook Academy of Art in Bloomfield Hills Michigan.   So Mercedes-Benz has sent him to Berlin Germany from July 1st through August 31 and they provided him with the plane tickets, a small studio apartment, a Mercedes-Benz car, free pass’ to all the art museums in Berlin, $5000 spending money and the opportunity to meet the Who’s Who of the Berlin art world.

He is also hoping to make it to The University of Oxford in England to met with Luciano Floridi a professor of Philosophy of Computing Information whom he has been in communications with that is very interested in his ideas on something I can’t even begin to explain.

If you are interested in art, museums and Germany he will posting pictures on his blog. Here is the link to the pictures; more will be added as he goes along. http://www.flickr.com/photos/64870674@N08/

I fully understand that this holds very little interest for 99.9999% of you all but you have to bear with a very proud dad. I mean how cool is that!

I've been to Berlin twice. You can't begin to imagine how cool it is. There is this incredible contrast between the prewar sections, the ex-GDR housing complexes, and the modern city. When I got off the subway on my first visit, it was right in front of the zoo, and I was thinking about the movie 'Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo' and how I was standing right where it was all about... So I'm proud to be one of the 0.0001%...

That is too, too cool.  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
You should be very proud of him and his accomplishments. 
What a bag full of goodies they gave him.  Quite a prize indeed...
I am very interested in art and museums; just have not checked out art in Germany.
I will be following his blog...
Again, congratulations to the both of you :eek:ccasion14:

Wow that's incredible!  I live just a few minutes away from Cranbrook.  It's a beautiful campus.  One of my best friends just finished his MFA there.

One of my best friends just finished his MFA there.

If he just finished this year then he knows Carson because he just finished his MFA too. What's his name, I may have met him?

You right it is an incredible campus. Not may people are familiar with it unless they are from the area or are big into art.

If you live close you live in a nice neighborhood because the homes around there are outrageously beautiful!!!!!!!

That's very cool!  I'm happy at the fact that your son gets so much recognition for his talent--hopefully he will bring his old man home a couple of beer steins while he's in Germany.

Tonar8353 said:
One of my best friends just finished his MFA there.

If he just finished this year then he knows Carson because he just finished his MFA too. What's his name, I may have met him?

You right it is an incredible campus. Not may people are familiar with it unless they are from the area or are big into art.

If you live close you live in a nice neighborhood because the homes around there are outrageously beautiful!!!!!!!

Oh wow, I just put everything together.  Unless there are multiple Carson's from that graduating class, I have met him a couple times.  Cool guy!  My friend's name is Ronald, and he was in the Photography dept.

Tonar8353 said:
Do you mean Karaoke Ron?

HAHAHAHA Yes i definitely mean Karaoke Ron.  He is going to love hearing about this.  Ron and I go way back.  We went to undergrad together and have played in who-knows-how-many bands together. 

That is too funny. I went with Carson to see him do a competition to win a trip to Vegas. We were visiting last year and Carson took us to some funky little bar in Detroit to see him and he tore it up. You would be smart having him as a front man for your band; he has a great voice and is a blast to watch.

Tonar8353 said:
That is too funny. I went with Carson to see him do a competition to win a trip to Vegas. We were visiting last year and Carson took us to some funky little bar in Detroit to see him and he tore it up. You would be smart having him as a front man for your band; he has a great voice and is a blast to watch.

That's amazing.  We may have been there on the same night!  I went to a couple of those (I think the competition lasted 6 weeks or so).

But regardless, congrats again to Carson.  That is an incredible honor!

Back