2-hole PJ control scheme (Ibanez TMB105)

S

swarfrat

So I went to replace the single coil Jazz pickup on my PJ (Ibanez Talman TMB105) and found that the volume/blend control uses surface mount pads, they're tiny, closely spaced, not conducive to the stiff wire Bartolini uses and as a result of trying - that ship has sailed.

So now I'm looking for a 2-knob (or one knob, switch) wiring setup. I don't really care if I keep the active preamp.  Options I've considered are:

1) Fender stacked vol/blend (but keeping the Ibanez preamp will require cutting a JST plug from the blend control to the eq)
2) Rip all the electronics out and go passive. I'm inclined to go this route and save the guts for the guy who will be calling me the DPO at some point down the line. (But I like this bass - it might be a while)

So I guess I could go Stacked Vol/Blend, Tone, or just Vol/Switch (no tone), or perhaps Vol/Tone and drill for a switch.  I think I like the vol/tone/switch option best but being a  pickguard without aftermarket shapes readily available,  I don't want to just go drilling without thinking about it for a few days.  I suppose I could also do Vol/Stacked tone, and switch in two holes, but I'm not sure how I feel about that. (It'd be awesome if someone made a concentric pot/3-way switch)

Opinions?

I suppose I could add "P on all the time, master Vol/Tone, and pull switch on the tone for PJ".
The tone control on this bass is mounted on the jackplate, so it's sturdy - and cancels out my normal reason for disliking pull switches on pickguards.

Back