2-1/4 Inch Neck Pockets

Fivethumbs said:
I would like to see Charvel/Jackson spec neck pockets so I can put a Warmoth neck on my Charvel.

This would be a huge paradigm shift for Warmoth, since they are primarily a "replacement part" vendor for Fender instruments.  That said, assuming the neck joint is in the same location as a Fender and it's a 25.5" scale length, you can probably get away with widening your neck pocket to fit the new neck; a competent repair tech should be able to do the job for you if you don't want to hack up your own guitar.

Sometimes I forget that there are more neck pockets out there than just the fender spec strat and tele :laughing7:

rapfohl09 said:
Sometimes I forget that there are more neck pockets out there than just the fender spec strat and tele :laughing7:

Seriously, I thought by now everyone would have gotten on board and complied with the standard  :icon_scratch:

Rickgrxbass said:
Seriously, I thought by now everyone would have gotten on board and complied with the standard   :icon_scratch:

Other manufacturers must think that they can do better. Personally, I think that there's a huge obvious improvement that can be done to the Fender neck pocket, but almost every other bolt-on manufacturer falls into the same trap of having a chunk that protrudes from the body onto which the neck is bolted, like in the following pic:
sdrg_aanj_290.jpg

This is a terrible idea because it impedes upper fret access, and I've honestly no idea why everybody seems to do it like this. This is a PRS CE neck pocket which is done, in my opinion, the right way:
DSC02419.jpg

Note that there's no protrusion, so there's no need for a heel or anything to prevent you from reaching the upper frets properly. A move to a pocket like this would be a great move, in my opinion.

Kadmium said:
Rickgrxbass said:
Seriously, I thought by now everyone would have gotten on board and complied with the standard   :icon_scratch:

Other manufacturers must think that they can do better. Personally, I think that there's a huge obvious improvement that can be done to the Fender neck pocket, but almost every other bolt-on manufacturer falls into the same trap of having a chunk that protrudes from the body onto which the neck is bolted, like in the following pic:
sdrg_aanj_290.jpg

This is a terrible idea because it impedes upper fret access, and I've honestly no idea why everybody seems to do it like this. This is a PRS CE neck pocket which is done, in my opinion, the right way:
DSC02419.jpg

Note that there's no protrusion, so there's no need for a heel or anything to prevent you from reaching the upper frets properly. A move to a pocket like this would be a great move, in my opinion.

The PRS bolt on heel is good, but why do they still have the chunky block of wood(on the neck) protruding out of the body?  I understand it's more stable, but it almost defeats the purpose.

Jackson56 said:
The PRS bolt on heel is good, but why do they still have the chunky block of wood(on the neck) protruding out of the body?  I understand it's more stable, but it almost defeats the purpose.

I totally agree. Said chunky block illustrated here, for anyone who's unaware:
CE22A1_heel.jpg

I'm loath to use Ed Roman as an example of how to do anything right, but the following pic illustrates the type of neck access I'd like to see become standard on bolt-ons (the one in the middle - the two on either side are PRS CEs):
prshfh23.jpg

pabloman said:
The body is already too wide. 2-1/4 is bigger than 2-3/16ths.

...That's what she said?

But now that you mention it, that's really a nominal difference, possibly attributable to measuring error.  Otherwise, 1/32" on either side of the neck is hardly a problem, just shim it out with some card stock  :icon_biggrin:

And yes, the PRS bolt-on is a better design.  The only downside is you have to remove the neck pickup to get the neck off, but that's hardly an inconvenience since the strings are (usually) off when you want to take the neck off.  BCRich did a similar thing a while ago, in which the headstock shape was repeated at the heel end and the whole thing was inlaid into the guitar body, iirc.

Back