1st build ever - G5 bass

scobass

As the title states, I've just embarked on my 1st journey of building a custom bass from parts. The parts haven't arrived yet but I have already learned so much.

Originally I was going to build a G5 bass with a Fender 4+1 deluxe jazz bass neck. Technically this should have been possible but I realized the Warmoth deluxe neck is simply more practical and a better design (anyone curious/building your own, ask and I'll elaborate). Also the truss rod access is reversed on the jbass necks, and it would have been an extra thing to ensure the g5 body was modified to allow access at the heel.

Anyway, the final order is in and this is what I'm going for:
G5 body
Walnut core, no laminate
Badass V String-through bridge (anyone needs help finding these in-stock, ask me)
1/2" side jack hole + deep panel mono jack
Pickups - bridge+neck Seymour Duncan NYC bass pickups (EMG40 routing)

Warmoth Deluxe 5 neck
Neck: Wenge
Fingerboard: Bocote (unique choice)
graphite rods
SS6105 frets (stainless steel, tall and narrow)
black mother of pearl dot inlays
moon glow side dots
black graphtech nut
1-7/8" nut width

Electronics/hardware
Seymour duncan NYC bass pickups. passive setup. 2 volumes (250k), 1 tone (250k), and 2 series/parallel switches
black tuners/knobs/bridge
schaller strap locks black

The neck will be left unfinished. The body will be getting a tru-oil finish. Will post progression pictures as the parts arrive and I start working on it!!

I know I'm going to show my ignorance, but who's that in your avatar?  I've seen a couple fellows here use him.

Just googled him.  I was unfamiliar with him.  If I had to pick my guitar hero it would either be Chuck Berry, Robert Wootton or John Cummings.  I know, obscure, right?  Well, maybe not the first one.

yes guthrie haha. didn't put much thought into it honestly. the default list of profile pics didn't have any of my favorite BASS players hah but guthrie is cool.

Just have someone take a picture of you playing bass and put it on.  I just went for the most ridiculous.

I think - and one of our admins can confirm or deny - the forum software doesn't let you set your own profile pic until you've made some minimum number of posts.

One of my goals is to hit 4000 posts and achieve master member status.  MASTER MEMBER!

Leo Quan Badass V bridge and Seymour Duncan NYC 5 string pups arrived in the mail. Patiently (or not so much) waiting for the G5 parts!

Also forgot to mention I'll be building a custom pick guard/slap ramp for this bass out of wood (species yet to be determined, but will probably use walnut or wenge.

Attachments

• Photo on 1-23-20 at 10.24 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 1-23-20 at 10.24 AM #2.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 8
Back