12 string nut options...stringing differences.

dmraco

Master Member
I see there are 2 options for 12 string nuts.  Above (the octave string placed Above the standard string) or Below (octave string placed below).

Most guitars I have played have been the Above option.  Any opinions here?  Sound?  Easy of play?

If you're looking for the octave function, above is better since most likely you wouldn't miss a string whether you strum a chord or even a single note.

If you want to have the possibility to still play notes without the octave notes with relative ease- you need to have it below. Otherwise it is very uncomfortable.

Phaedrus said:
If you're looking for the octave function, above is better since most likely you wouldn't miss a string whether you strum a chord or even a single note.

If you want to have the possibility to still play notes without the octave notes with relative ease- you need to have it below. Otherwise it is very uncomfortable.

that is what I was thinking too.  I played a twelve string Danelectro the other day.  It was very easy to "solo" on a twelve string.  I would think below would be a better option in case you missed picked.

I've never played one below, but I'd love to have a hybrid nut with the G below and E/A/D above, since the B/E are unisons. Ascending runs usually don't sound so bad, but sometimes I'll make a descending run and end up on the G without thinking about it, and the octave really pops out when that happens.

I've had guitars with both.  My Rickenbacker 360/12 had the 'octave on top' arrangement, and my Warmoth/Fender XII has the 'octave on bottom' setup.

Both have pluses and minuses.  The Rick had a more 'chimey' sound, and the warmoth has a less 'chimey, more meaty' sound.  Neither was obviously superior to the other.  Fingerpicking on each was just annoying. 

Sorry I can't be more help, but I guess what I'm saying is "it just doesn't matter".

Actually I got that wrong.  The Rick was octaves on the bottom, Warmoth octaves on the top.

There.  There's an excellent illustration about just how much this matters.    :headbang:

Mayfly said:
Actually I got that wrong.  The Rick was octaves on the bottom, Warmoth octaves on the top.

There.  There's an excellent illustration about just how much this matters.    :headbang:

As I read the original post, I thought you may have had it backwards.  Do you have any clips on the they sound?  Strummed and picked?

Here's a link to a song that used the Rick:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/CornflowerBlue/Pochahontas

Here's a link to a song that used the warmoth:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/cornflowerblue2/FishermansBlues

The Rick I had to use a lot of EQ and compression to get it to sound like that.  The warmoth is kinda buried in the mix there, but I didn't do anything to it.

Update:  Just tried the links and for some reason CD baby doesn't just play the linked song - ya gotta click em yourself. 

The first song is Pochahontas.  The second song is Fisherman's Blues

Back