1 5/8 Nut and Floyd Rose String slipping

plopez2389

Hi there! I'll be ordering a Warmoth neck soon but I have a couple of questions/concerns.

My favorite Stratocaster has a 1 5/8 nut width and I much prefer that over 1 11/16. (I have small hands). Looking into ordering a 1 5/8 neck with R2 Floyd rose nut and medium frets. Because of the string spacing of the Floyd Rose bridge, I'm concerned that if I choose a 1 5/8 nut width, the high E string will be slipping off of the fretboard specifically up in the higher frets closer to the bridge. Some people have suggested going with a 1.65 nut width with R2 Floyd nut. I've tried that before but it felt like there was a little too much room on the Low E string.

Can anyone share some advice? Is it something I shouldn't be worried about?

Also, does anyone know if the satin nitro tends to go glossy after playing it for a while?

Thanks in advance!

Satin anything gets glossy after a while of playing.

The R2 nut should be fine for what you are asking about. I have plenty of charvels and fenders and have done several iterations of what you are looking to do and the string slipping wont be an issue.

Satin anything gets glossy after a while of playing.

The R2 nut should be fine for what you are asking about. I have plenty of charvels and fenders and have done several iterations of what you are looking to do and the string slipping wont be an issue.
Thanks so much! Giving me the confidence to go ahead and order the neck.
Satin turning glossy is fine. I guess im just worried that it might get sticky?

I have the same issue with a 1.65 nut on a jazzmaster using a warmoth jaguar bridge... wish I knew how to fix it

Because of the string spacing of the Floyd Rose bridge, I'm concerned that if I choose a 1 5/8 nut width, the high E string will be slipping off of the fretboard specifically up in the higher frets closer to the bridge. Some people have suggested going with a 1.65 nut width with R2 Floyd nut. I've tried that before but it felt like there was a little too much room on the Low E string.

The width of the heel of the neck is the same on a 1 5/8", 1.65 or 1 11/16" neck. The nut width has no influence on the higher frets to be concerned about.

Ancient Fender secret… you can loosen the neck screws, push the neck left/right, then retighten to adjust the string alignment. Better to nail it down when you first install the neck so the threading is nice and tight. Install both E strings, wiggle the neck in the pocket with the screws partially inserted until neither is hanging off the fretboard, and tighten down.

Most folks cheat the high E a little inward because they don’t play/bend the low E up in the higher frets near as much.

Back