1 3/4 on a tele?

cy83r

hey everyone, wanting to pull the trigger on 1.75" neck for a tele (with bridge spacing 2 1/8) to accommodate my XL hands. Is the neck gonna be wide enough towards the heel to keep the strings away from the edge, or should I just get a 1 11/16 neck? For the record, I'm looking at a SRV carve in 10-16 compound. cheers for any advice and opinions!

Not sure why it wouldn’t. Bridge spacing is what rules how close to the edge of the fretboard the strings are.
Keep in mind, at the nut, the fretboard is wider while string spacing is relative.

Go for the larger neck.  Look at the pics at the warmoth web site. I have one and love it.

This is my tele with a 1-3/4 neck... heel spacing is perfectly fine:

JD-22.jpg

JD-21.jpg

JD-20.jpg

JD-25.jpg

oh man, that is pretty much my dream guitar - if only it was left handed! thanks for posting the great pics. As it's my first custom neck I'm going to keep it simple/cheap out with a Player or a Squier 50's classic vibe body :)

I have the 1  7/8 superwide Warhead on a Thinline Tele body, works well. 
I ordered the standard thin profile, I wouldn't dare go any fatter!

I have the 1 7/8 inch neck with the wolfgang profile and it's great.  Depends on your hand size and what you're used to.  I started on a classical guitar (did banjo first, then bass), and works great for me.

I am used to an Ibanez RG550L genesis shredder (wizard neck) which i bought because it had the widest available string spacing, and obviously now want to go wider for cleaner, easier chords - and a fair bit fatter too.  My hands are in proportion, need XL gloves and I can stretch to touch the 1st and 11th frets on a 25.5" scale guitar - probably doesn't quite warrant a 1 7/8. I should be able to get my hands on an Am Pro II strat in the next few days - that will be my best reference for taking a punt on a neck shape. But I imagine SRV would be good in 1 3/4 for my hands. I do like to get my thumb on at least the low E string.

There are a number of ways to stop falling off the board. One of our regulars will point out it's largely a technique problem, that the extra 64th or 32nd you get isn't likely to make a difference. I play 13's for other reasons, but that pretty much stopped falling off altogether.  :icon_biggrin:

As one of the regulars who has mentioned technique previously I shall indulge my fellow forumite @swarfrat...

Once you get an instrument of reasonable quality and reasonably set up most things are at that point are solvable with technique. That said we all have preferences but you have to be careful about where it is the gear and where it is not going to be solved by gear.

Back