ZZ Top Dean?

I went to a charity event with my wife last weekend.  One of the items up for bids was an electric guitar with custom artwork by Billy Gibbons.  I'll admit, I was excited and expecting to see a Tele or Gibson.  While I don't associate Billy with any one brand or model, certainly a Gibson or Tele would have been a safe bet.  The guitar ended up being a Dean EVO XM.  The list price was $119.00 and is a beginner guitar.  It was fawned over nonetheless with phrases like, "Oh what a nice guitar.  That looks expensive.  They'll have to start the bidding high to make up for the cost of the instrument."  Well, the atrwork was nothing special.  What made it special was the artist and not so much the art.  It was pinstriping done with a silver paint pen and each of the band members signatures that the auctioneer read as "Frank Beers."  It ended up fetching right under $3,000.  In the scheme of things, it was a charity event where an item was bought low (if not donated) and sold high.  It goes to show that all guitars are the same to people who don't play them.  My guitar brain was a little sore as I never said a word of what I thought, it was not the time or place.  On the way home my wife asked what a guitar like that would sell for.  I said, "Not even $200, but I'll find out."  It reminds me of the red Squier Strat I saw framed in a baseball card shop that was signed by Metallica and had a 2 grand price tag. 

Here is the guitar sans artwork.

CheapDean.jpg

My buddy and I are dean users.. and these are the guitars we planned on buying en masse (sort of) to be used if we ever wanted to smash something on stage.
Worth the money. buy a guitar  for 100 bucks. and end up with a couple decent pickups, some grover machine heads and a TOM/STP.

This Blows, I just bought a Dean 12 string accustic, It plays sounds and looks awesome, but this sorta thing does nothing to help the future value of my guitar.

I coulda bought a Martin for a few hundred bucks more, I shoulda

Sure, Billy played Dean guitars a lot in the 80s.  The famous spinning fuzzy explorers were Deans.

dbw said:
Sure, Billy played Dean guitars a lot in the 80s.  The famous spinning fuzzy explorers were Deans.

Both Billy and Dusty played Deans even before that.Billy pretty much will play anything.He is one of the biggest guitar and amp collectors on the planet.

sbk12 said:
dbw said:

Both Billy and Dusty played Deans even before that.Billy pretty much will play anything.He is one of the biggest guitar and amp collectors on the planet.

"Dean Guitars is a manufacturer of fine quality musical instruments.
Since 1977, Dean Guitars has been providing guitar players with the finest in electric guitars,
bass guitars, acoustic guitars, amps, cases ,banjos, mandolins, and related gear. Dean Guitars is
also proud to announce the NEW! Dean Pickups line! Guitar Pickups from your favorite Dean Artists.
Get your wing today! You will not find a better guitar anywhere"

There were barely any Dean guitars before the 80s.

dbw said:
sbk12 said:
dbw said:

"Dean Guitars is a manufacturer of fine quality musical instruments.
Since 1977, Dean Guitars has been providing guitar players with the finest in electric guitars,
bass guitars, acoustic guitars, amps, cases ,banjos, mandolins, and related gear. Dean Guitars is
also proud to announce the NEW! Dean Pickups line! Guitar Pickups from your favorite Dean Artists.
Get your wing today! You will not find a better guitar anywhere"

There were barely any Dean guitars before the 80s.

Last I checked...77,78,and 79 was still considered the 70`s.

Maybe I'm just noticing it as of lately, but it seems to me there has been a recent increase in bad attitude/sarcasm/nitpicking and condescension on the forum lately?  Not aiming this at anyone, just noticing a general trend.  I know I don't post that much, but I do usually read all the posts and I try stay out of the bickering as much as possible, but it seems like alot is piling up pretty thick lately? 

Neil Stryker X said:
Maybe I'm just noticing it as of lately, but it seems to me there has been a recent increase in bad attitude/sarcasm/nitpicking and condescension on the forum lately?  Not aiming this at anyone, just noticing a general trend.  I know I don't post that much, but I do usually read all the posts and I try stay out of the bickering as much as possible, but it seems like alot is piling up pretty thick lately?   

No it doesn't. Get lost!  :icon_jokercolor:

Alfang said:
This Blows, I just bought a Dean 12 string accustic, It plays sounds and looks awesome, but this sorta thing does nothing to help the future value of my guitar.

I coulda bought a Martin for a few hundred bucks more, I shoulda

This was not intended as a stab at Dean guitars.  They make some nice stuff.  But a cheap starter guitar associated with the Top, come on.

dbw said:

Sure he played Deans, as well as many other brands.  Nothing about this guitar screams ZZ Top to me.  This was not a fuzzt spinning Explorer.  Because this charity event was organized by a board, everything involved was submitted and included in a budget.  Someone walked into a Guitar Center, found the cheapest thing they could find, had it sent to Billy, he drew something on it and mailed it back.  The board saw receipts, approved it, next item.

Sure, I see what you're saying.  Of course it raised 3 large for a (presumably) good cause! :)

Back