Zoom H4 for recording

jeffgtr

Holy cow. Drummer brought his over last nite,and we messed around with figuring it out,and trying all the different ways we could think of to record to it.
Blew my mind. That simple. Built-in mics, input jacks for 1/8 line-in, and 2 xlr/1/4" inputs. Built-in amp/cab models,and fx, and full mixing features (mute/pan/solo,levels.e.q.,etc) all in a gizmo that's hand held.
HIGHLY recommend it.
Considering the $200 or it costs, vs. -potentially-thousands for a typical computer-based recording rig-Im switching to one of these little gizmos.
It does what used to take me an entire studio full of crap,all on it's own.
The amp/fx models actually sounded a heck of a lot better than I would have thought.
We did a couple of quick tunes recording everything direct to the device- GTR, straight in,using the amp models+some delay, and his Roland V-drums into the line-in, hit record-DONE. that simple. What we used to do what we did, all the gear involved, fits into the trunk of his MR2....(except gtr,which he put into his front seat).
You could, in theory, use nothing more than a guitar,a bass,and a Roland set, and that device-send the output to a P.A. or monitor system, and gig with it-while recording everything in real-time,then spit out the results in a finished/mixed-down mp3.WOW.

We tried with using just the built-in mics on the device also. We just parked it in the middle of my room-Laney stack,cranked, 10 ft away, and the powered monitors for his drums 10 ft the other way,hit record, and bam! Everything recorded nice and clean,and levels matched.Ready to mix-down,and add overdubs-which we did.

This thing's defintely going down on my Xmas wish-list this yr. If any of u guys are looking for a quick-n-dirty recording kit with which to record clips of your gear,or even to mulit-track for your group-this thing is it.

Back