Your favorite rhythm machine.

PhilHill

Who do you think were truly great rhythm sections. I mean a bassist and drummer who could lay down a groove you could plant trees in. Musical genre doesn't matter. I'll list three obvious ones to get it started.

1. James Jamerson and Benny Benjamin
2. Hal Blaine and Carol Kay
3. Geddy Lee and Neil Peart

. So who do you think............

Malcolm Young, Phill Rudd, Cliff Williams

Along with Geddy and Neil...Their timing was impeccable..

Keith moon and John entwistle
Rick danko and Levin helms
Bootie Collins and Jerome brailey
Oh shoot there so many ...

Apart from what has already been mentioned a few off the top of my head.

Jeff Porcaro and David Hungate
Jon Bonham and John Paul Jones
Ian Paice and Roger Glover
Frank Beard and Dusty Hill

PT said:
Paul and Ringo

Don't shoot me.

I second that.

Ringo had impeccable timing and discipline.
When mastering all their recordings and going through all the hundreds if not thousands of outtakes, extra takes, Ringo accounted for less than a dozen "mistakes" that required a new take.
He was also like a metronome. His tempo never swayed, if a song went from half time in the bridge he would be able to return ON the button. (one of the key reasons they fired Best and got Ringo was he was essentially a studio-quality drummer)
Apparently Ringo made it incredibly easy for editing one part or one take from one to another --if it was 82 bpm on take 2, it would be 82 bpm on take 30.

I think the rhythm section of bands cam make a huge difference in a pop chart.
Paul and Ringo held their own against studio cats from Funk Brothers to the Wrecking Crew.

Also should be mentioned
Duck Dunn and Alan Jackson Jr.
Basically played on all of the '60s Stax records

Another vote for Paul and Ringo. They did a lot things that had never been done before.......... :icon_thumright:

Jeff Carlisi. The man is a machine by himself. Even playing "lead rhythm guitar". 38 Special never got the accolades big brothers band got, but I think Jeff took LRG to a level only surpassed by EVH.

stratamania said:

That's an interesting one, in that Bonham's drum parts seemed to follow the guitar more than the bass. However the got there...ya...a pocket so deep even kangaroos are jelly.

Phil/Cliff/Mal for SURE.

I'm gonna dip into the metal side and add Charlie Benante & Frank Bello (plus Scott Ian) of Anthrax.

Early Queensryche with Scott Rockenfeld & Eddie Jackson.  I think Eddie stayed up on his chops in the later years, but it seemed like Scott fell off and just played the same rhythm for every song, every album in the post-Promised Land era, which, when combined with Geoff Tate's growing ego, led to some really boring albums (I'm fully in the Toddryche camp in that conflict, BTW).

The Aaron said:
stratamania said:

That's an interesting one, in that Bonham's drum parts seemed to follow the guitar more than the bass. However the got there...ya...a pocket so deep even kangaroos are jelly.

Phil/Cliff/Mal for SURE.

I love the groove of Zeppelin, definitely not a boom, chick type band. As well as Bonham's groove it is how each of the parts interplay and push, pull and the dynamics etc...

Lot of interesting choices so far. Fortunately we are blessed with many talented musicians now a days. If we could just overcome the curse of "Pop" we'd be doing even better............ :toothy10:

NedRyerson said:
I'm gonna dip into the metal side and add Charlie Benante & Frank Bello (plus Scott Ian) of Anthrax.

Early Queensryche with Scott Rockenfeld & Eddie Jackson.  I think Eddie stayed up on his chops in the later years, but it seemed like Scott fell off and just played the same rhythm for every song, every album in the post-Promised Land era, which, when combined with Geoff Tate's growing ego, led to some really boring albums (I'm fully in the Toddryche camp in that conflict, BTW).
Along with the boys from Queensryche, on the heavier side, Nick Menza and Dave Ellefson of Megadeath...

Back