You know that feeling............

Wana_make_a_guitar

when you burn your finger on the soldering iron, and then run to the bathroom to run your finger under cold water and lather it with burn cream, forgetting that the soldering Iron is still on and while your trying to not get a blister, the iron makes a fire on the paper towel you used to clean off the tip of the iron, then you smell it, then you douse the fire with the coffee you had next to you at the time that you were soldering?

Pain, Panic, Relief, Confusion, Panic, Relief, Pain.

That was exciting! Discuss funny burn/soldering iron situations.  :laughing7:

Bear in mind I'm a broadcast electronics engineer and I solder stuff all day long..........

I was re-wiring a light fitting not long ago,  I'd put my iron down to get the next peice of wire.  Absent-mindedly i picked the iron back up, but held it like a pencil around the hot stem end, and not the plastic handle end.  :doh:    Once I'd figured out that the iron was hot, and I needed to not be holding it anymore, I dropped it, Naturally......unfortunately I dropped it onto my dad's hand (He was holding the light fitting, as I didn't have a clamp).  So he got some too.  :redflag:

Needless to say it burnt like hell, and left lovely little blisters on the end of my first two fingers and thumb of my right hand (I'm right-handed).  No guitar for me for about a week.

Numbnuts.....

Haha, sounds painful!

I was re-soldering the battery clip on my tuner and I was holding the red wire in my left hand and the iron in my right. I think the iron slipped and I tried to catch it with my left. Which was dumb. I heard a sizzle. 

stubhead said:
You guys are funny. Ever consider skydiving as a new hobby? :hello2:
Now I have to pull the, Ouch that harness hurts lets fix that...... Splat

I think though skydiving would be awesome. I shall be the first one to play guitar and skydive at the same time!

I'm the king of fingers burnt on soldering iron... I just wasn't satisfied when I burnt my right hand, I had to burn the fingers on left hand (while holding the wires)...

I'm the King! :laughing7:

NonsenseTele said:
I'm the king of fingers burnt on soldering iron... I just wasn't satisfied when I burnt my right hand, I had to burn the fingers on left hand (while holding the wires)...

I'm the King! :laughing7:
Hahahaha. You are the king.

And to think I'm happy with merely melting things accidentally, I used to burn my hands quite regularly and have a few permanent scars to prove it but I've managed to learn how to avoid burning myself, which is good thing since if I were to drop my gas iron while using it I would probably set my workbench ( also known as the dining room table) on fire. :icon_biggrin:

The stupidest thing I've had happen to me with a soldering iron is someone deliberately burning me but because I was so absorbed in my work that I didn't notice for a few seconds. I've got a nice chisel tip shaped scar on my right hand from that incident.

I was grilling some k-bobs and drinking some beer. I forgot that not only does the food get hot on the grill, the metal k-bob stick gets pretty freaking warm as well. At least my party guests had a good laugh over it.

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
stubhead said:

I think though skydiving would be awesome. I shall be the first one to play guitar and skydive at the same time!

skwisgar skwigelf did it. metalocalypse, episode 18 season 2. in the studio he was buzzing when playing guitar on the ground and when he jumped in the air, it stopped. the producer said "hey i have an idea" and they record the lead guitar part while he is skydiving. its a funny episode, its called dethrecord.

smavridis said:
stubhead said:

skwisgar skwigelf did it. metalocalypse, episode 18 season 2. in the studio he was buzzing when playing guitar on the ground and when he jumped in the air, it stopped. the producer said "hey i have an idea" and they record the lead guitar part while he is skydiving. its a funny episode, its called dethrecord.
DAMN!

smavridis said:
stubhead said:

DAMN!

lol sorry!

I've accidentally leant a solder iron on a pickguard til I smelt burning plastic.... and have held onto a piece of bare wire in one hand while soldering with the other only to realise that heat conducts across the wire, ouch! :doh:

My dining room table gives you good reason why you should NOT solder in the house. Beautiful pinewood top with one small solder drop scar. :sad: (IIRC, it was either the table top OR my lap - and the table lost in favour of my family jewels  :help:)

Back