Yay, a new feature

+1 about the 3/8" hole... that should definitely be an option.  I'd also love to see this on LPs.  (This is all speculative, I probably wont be buying another LP any time soon.)

DangerousR6 said:
Wyliee said:
misplacedsanity said:
Will these be available in different sizes? I too would like to get these on a soloist carved top, but with dome knobs. The diameter of these routes look like they would be flush for barrel knobs but are going to leave dome knobs swimming. 

Just what you see there.  There's quite a bit of programming involved in making those!
It'd take me about 10 minutes...

Showoff.  :icon_biggrin:

stubhead said:
Why bother?

Increased sustain, sparklier harmonics, punchier transparent liquidity, and above all, more scooped spanky meat than a boxcar full of Floyd! :party07:

(my resume's in yer fax machine dudes, 75c a word....) :toothy10:

:laughing8: :laughing8:

NonsenseTele said:
Superlizard said:
NonsenseTele said:
Gregg said:
To sell more bodies and make money.
This phrase alone is very embarassing :laughing3:
Nothing wrong in making money if the product is good and the price isn't in the stratosphere.
(which can't really be said for a lot of big name guitar manufacturers - esp. those that start with a "G" or "F")

I tryed to give a sexual connotation :laughing7:

I never would have guessed that NT would have purposely tried to give anything he writes a sexual connotation.

oh yea -  :laughing7:

dbw said:
+1 about the 3/8" hole... that should definitely be an option.  I'd also love to see this on LPs.  (This is all speculative, I probably wont be buying another LP any time soon.)

DangerousR6 said:
Wyliee said:
misplacedsanity said:
Will these be available in different sizes? I too would like to get these on a soloist carved top, but with dome knobs. The diameter of these routes look like they would be flush for barrel knobs but are going to leave dome knobs swimming. 

Just what you see there.  There's quite a bit of programming involved in making those!
It'd take me about 10 minutes...

Showoff.   :icon_biggrin:
:icon_biggrin:

I've always wondered, are the recessed pots functional in any way, or are they just there for cool looks?

RLW said:
I've always wondered, are the recessed pots functional in any way, or are they just there for cool looks?
I think it's just a aesthetic contribution from PRS..... :dontknow:

RLW said:

Heck yes they're functional !!~

They collect excess queeb and belly button lint, and keep it handy!

Nah, I don't think they have any functional purpose.  But you know how you can look down at your LP when you're playing it and see the shafts and nuts (no giggling :doh:) on the pots?  I like that they're invisible on the recessed PRS controls.  Kinda like countersunk pickguard screws, or diamond-plate humbucker covers... it's just guitar bling.  :laughing7:

RLW said:

I guess if there is such a functionality to the recessed pot holes, its that the pots now sit flush in comparison to the rest of the guitar. The best example of that was on a spalted maple Fender Tele I played with at the music shop here in Green Bay.

Graffiti62 said:
RLW said:

I guess if there is such a functionality to the recessed pot holes, its that the pots now sit flush in comparison to the rest of the guitar. The best example of that was on a spalted maple Fender Tele I played with at the music shop here in Green Bay.

yeah, thats actually the only functional thing about it.

a: it looks COOL
b: it makes sure that the knobs are flush with eachother and the top. thats it.

my luthier does that at no charge. he had to laugh, he said, what? pay for this? pay extra for rolled edges on your fretboard? come on, you've got to get this for free! at least the latter, and the first is just a little gesture from the luthier (in his opinion, laminated necks, no glued on headstocks but solid, purfling on fretboardbinding, multiply binding, recessed trussrodcovers, veneer between top and back, rolled fingerboardedges, recessed knobs and plates and matching wood backplates are all 'gestures' and are standard in his builds. 1900$ for 1 carved top les paul, neckthru).

I actually like the recess on the 3-way switch too. I just think it looks nifty.

I'm all down for knocking PRS in terms of value for money. But personally, I do really appreciate their styling. I think they are really classy looking guitars.

Also--

I am not into quilt maple normally. But I am loving this. I would love to see it finished in a nice clear satin, just as it looks in this picture really. Mmmmm.

VIP81a.jpg

Orpheo said:
my luthier does that at no charge. he had to laugh, he said, what? pay for this? pay extra for rolled edges on your fretboard? come on, you've got to get this for free! at least the latter, and the first is just a little gesture from the luthier (in his opinion, laminated necks, no glued on headstocks but solid, purfling on fretboardbinding, multiply binding, recessed trussrodcovers, veneer between top and back, rolled fingerboardedges, recessed knobs and plates and matching wood backplates are all 'gestures' and are standard in his builds. 1900$ for 1 carved top les paul, neckthru).

I'm not sure what your point is, here. If you don't like the way W does it, there's no gun to your head to buy it. Last I checked, a W LP could be built for a lot less than 1900, so it sounds like your luthier is just building in the cost and giving you no choice. That's no disrespect to him, as he can run his business how he likes, but it's just a different way of doing things.

tfcreative said:
Orpheo said:

I'm not sure what your point is, here. If you don't like the way W does it, there's no gun to your head to buy it. Last I checked, a W LP could be built for a lot less than 1900, so it sounds like your luthier is just building in the cost and giving you no choice. That's no disrespect to him, as he can run his business how he likes, but it's just a different way of doing things.

sure it can be less at W's, but if you ask for the same specs, or as close as, you'd run something like that amount too. I calculated it, just a sec ago, and you'd run something like 1600$ with the same hardware and options, for a W. les paul. batch out 300$ more, and you'd have something better. as said, with multibinding, bound stainless steel frets, etc etc.

just to put matter in perspective. I love my own W- LP's, but I felt that people on this forum think that w. is the only manufacturer which delivers the goods for not-soo much money. well, it can be cheaper, and better. its like, oh wow, I've got the best car in the world! yeah, your ferrari is great, but my jaguar, which costs 1/4 of the ferrari, can drive just as fast with more features...

Just the time to track stuff down, too... all I really need to be fairly content is a single coil in the neck, a humbucking at the bridge, separate tone and volume controls for each, and perfect fretwork. I can search high and low for that combo (it's rare, especially the controls), or I can just build it and know it's right. I hate the tedium of fretwork, but I'm too cheap to wanna pay somebody to do something I know how to do.... :cool01:

Actually, last Wednesday, I took this body over to the hardware department and stuck a push/push pot in it.  There's just enough shaft left to put the washer and the nut on to secure it.  Other than that, our standard CTS250 and CTS500 pots fit in there with plenty of room left on the shaft.

I bet if you could by just buy the raw body, or just the raw neck from this luthier, he'd figure out pretty quick while "gestures" pay for themselves when you sell a $1900 built guitar, they can also put you out of business if you only sell bits and pieces. 

Superlizard said:
:dontknow:

Why bother?

If ever there was a *trendy* guitar where people get 'em just to look "cool" and brag about owning one, the PRS's take the cake.

In fact, I'll bet more non-musicians play PRS's than actual musicians.

Never been a fan... ever.

I think PRS guitars look great, I'm just not a fan of the price tag and the mediocre playability and limited options, but I would say that Gibson has to take the cake for me as an eternally "trendy" guitar.  I'm not a big fan of Gibson or PRS, but I would have to take the PRS because I haven't played a Gibson that ever really blew me away and PRS would take the prize looks wise for a similar price tag.  Both brands are merely something to brag about to me.

Gregg said:
I bet if you could by just buy the raw body, or just the raw neck from this luthier, he'd figure out pretty quick while "gestures" pay for themselves when you sell a $1900 built guitar, they can also put you out of business if you only sell bits and pieces. 

we talked about that, and if he'd skip those, we'd be around the same price :) he's got to do a lot of stuff anyway, like headstockveneers, rolled edges, laminate necks (he wont do anything else, etc etc). so its a small step to cut the trussrodcover from that piece of veneer, and he's got a nifty tool so he can make the 'rolled edges' within 5 minutes. all in all, its included in the baseprice of the guitar.

Back