Would be anybody be so kind as to scan their control cover for the me?

Dazkeirle

Hi guys, can I ask a massive favour?

I need a control cover for my soloist but unfortunately my body didn't come with one.

They are an odd size / screw spacing and while warmoth will supply a replacement it means paying for an incredible amount of postage to send from the US to the UK.

Now, I do have a 3D printer and so was wondering if, just temporarily, somebody wouldn't mind doing a scan of their cover on their printer?

From this I'll be able to sketch and print a temporary replacement until I order a new body / neck from Warmoth and add a control cover to that order where it'll get buried in the cost.

I know this is a lot to ask, but if you are bored and fancy helping a brother out, removing 4 screws and hitting scan would save me hours/days of work tracing and wasting trial and error prints.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200429-084522_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200429-084522_Photos.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 205
I got some not install , so easy to scan , one white back more easy to see.

Attachments

• WMctplate.pdf
    180.5 KB · Views: 135
Thanks again pal, did the job perfectly.

Attachments

• 20200430_113914.jpg
    20200430_113914.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 193
  • 20200430_113954.jpg
    20200430_113954.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 191
you are welcome, as I have done same kind of stuff many times, so I know what information need.

also as you doings a PRS kind of build , why not made the back cover with same kind of wood like PRS dosed?

I made this for VIP ( PRS copy ) build .

index.php

Hendrix said:
you are welcome, as I have done same kind of stuff many times, so I know what information need.

also as you doings a PRS kind of build , why not made the back cover with same kind of wood like PRS dosed?

I made this for VIP ( PRS copy ) build .

index.php

Yeah that's an option. Or maybe just use a veneer for these bits.

Touché.

I'm not gonna even ask how the hell you have 3 x 12 grand PS guitars.

Congrats, beautiful things. Not sure I'll ever be in a financial position where putting that much money into guitars is a good idea however I have noticed that they do hold their value pretty well so not a terrible investment (although I'd be careful with that fade, PRS blue dyes are horrific for fading away. Fine for the a couple of grand but I'd be gutted on something so nice, keep it out of the way sun, but then you can already knew that).

Hendrix said:
No , that just the image find online.

blue fade from here :
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/epic-ngd-ps-dc-245-in-beach-cross-fade.2476/

I usually see them as I follow their Instagram AC , and some part on their YT channel, Paul talking about how to build guitar is more knowledgeable than others factory for me .

Ah yeah, they are beautiful. I spend most of the day in and out of the PRS group on Facebook. And yeah, Paul is something else. He's so passionate and proud and quality driven, it's great that he's still around at the height of his fame / success and still innovating. I'd love to get a set of the new TCI pickups but I think I'll have to wait a bit before they start popping up on reverb.

I have the CU24 10 top (that I bought used for half price), put PRS PU's in my Strat and this new build will also end up with PRS PUs I'm sure, I just love the sound. There's something very familiar about the PRS sound (loads of warm mids I think).

One thing I will say though, is that PRS finishes are some of the worst in the entire industry. Anything with blue in, unless a case queen, becomes a brown / grey mess within 5-10 years and as for lacquer, over the years they've experimented. I have a V12 model and it's just terrible, it's so thin and brittle you've got to really baby the guitar. On the plus side if you're ok with your guitar picking up a little play wear / relicing then that's never going to be a problem with a PRS.

Like you I have found those factory tour videos so insightful, and I've picked up lots of finishing tips from what I've seen. I love that it's still very much a hand made instrument where it counts and you get all the benefit of CNC where it doesn't (much like Warmoth tbh). I think where PRS really excel are their necks. They're not only beautiful things usually, but they put a lot of effort in the setup.

For a shlub like me fret levelling / dressing etc is a hard thing. I wish Warmoth offered that service for unbuilt necks (I know that would be difficult) as for me when buying a neck it's something I have to consider when buying new.

For the core PRS finish, it really a love and hate relationship, for others brand like F or G , people feel good to pay a lot extra money for “ historical correct “ nitrocellulose lacquer finish, it made wood “breathing better “ . Unless it a relics, people still need to baby sitting F or G expensive lacquer finish guitar.

But because PRS got no history to be correctly following on that kind of mentality , and PRS so emphasis on beautiful out look , it do got a big drop on re-selling value once you got some scratch on it . This requires of carefulness do made owners not feel free to enjoy it .

Back