Workbench Upgrade

Looks good! As a recent member of the "New Bench Club" I can relate to the joys of upgrading your workspace. What kind of a drill press is that? I'm always tentatively shopping for the right one...

Verne Bunsen said:
Looks good! As a recent member of the "New Bench Club" I can relate to the joys of upgrading your workspace. What kind of a drill press is that? I'm always tentatively shopping for the right one...

It's the 8" Bench Top Drill Press from Harbor Freight.  You can change the belt to different bullies for different speeds.  I got a gift card & that's how I bought it.  Surprisingly, it works quite well, the chuck doesn't drift, seems pretty solid.
Once I get up to a production pace with building in the year or so after the repair work funds the shop, I may jig it to make it a side drill for output jack holes. 

Gotta build some body templates, working on a "slip form" idea.  It'll work in theory, but I'll have to make a few to test accuracy.

Good stuff.

As for a "modular" bench, you might want to consider one of these from Black & Decker...

Imageresizer.ashx

Very handy, surprisingly sturdy, and when not in use it'll fold up and you can just lean it against the wall where it won't take up much room. You can usually find them in the $100 range.

I got the same bench.  Harbor freight.  Got to love it.

I also bought a 5 dollar yoga mat and cut it up to fit the top.  I used the left over to form a cradle to raise and hold the neck.

DMRACO said:
I got the same bench.  Harbor freight.  Got to love it.

I also bought a 5 dollar yoga mat and cut it up to fit the top.  I used the left over to form a cradle to raise and hold the neck.

Got tips, thanks guys.

Back