Wood choice for semi-hollow body

Get what you want.  A 335 is all maple but a different construction method

I’m with Cagey, unless the top is figured maple, Koa would make a great looking top.

Rick said:
Go with eye candy

^This, go with what you like. Personally I like quilted maple, with a satin finish, it's what I'm thinking about for a Mooncaster or possibly a tele hybrid.

Hey guys, I know this has been dormant a while, but today I played a Gibson ES-335 Dot Reissue through my own amplifier and I feel like it provided EXACTLY the tones I've been looking for!  I'd still rather build the Mooncaster and end up with my own unique guitar rather than just buy the Gibson (plus, I found the Gibosn's neck to be a little uncomfortable)... So I guess I'm just looking for the consensus:  Can a Mooncaster be made to sound like an ES-335?  If so, what wood(s) do I use??

Thanks all, and sorry if I'm repeating myself...

bassface732 said:
Hey guys, I know this has been dormant a while, but today I played a Gibson ES-335 Dot Reissue through my own amplifier and I feel like it provided EXACTLY the tones I've been looking for!  I'd still rather build the Mooncaster and end up with my own unique guitar rather than just buy the Gibson (plus, I found the Gibosn's neck to be a little uncomfortable)... So I guess I'm just looking for the consensus:  Can a Mooncaster be made to sound like an ES-335?  If so, what wood(s) do I use??

Thanks all, and sorry if I'm repeating myself...

I don't think the body woods make that much of a difference, but it is there, subtly...but it's there.

I'm far from an expert on this, but like you, I've been on the quest of to get a true semi-hollow body sound.  I picked up a Gibson Midtown a year or so ago for $1k.  I don't think it truly captures a 335 sound.  There is a Youtube video out there that demo's the sonic differences between a the Midtown and 335 (though I don't think it's a good representation of how the Midtown sounds).  The 335 has, as best as I can describe, a smoother, deeper, possibly richer sound, while the Midtown has more "rock" to it, maybe tighter attack in the notes and more pronounced midrange and highs.

I mention the Midtown for 2 reasons. 
1. I think because of body construction similarities between the Midtown and Mooncaster, all things being equal, they are going to be in the same tonal zip code.
2. I don't have nearly the collection of guitars I read about that some have, but I have a few nice guitars...and the Midtown just might be my favorite sounding of them all, it's also incredibly playable.  I do think the Burstbucker pickups and maple neck have more to do with the sound over the woods used in the body construction though.

I've looked hard at building a Mooncaster and really like the idea of a more custom version of what the Midtown offers.  Something that nails the sound of the Midtown with, as you mentioned, a preferred neck profile, and also Floyd, frets, etc.

I'd start with mahogany as the body wood.  Going for a 335 sound, I'd go mahogany neck as well.  I think the maple neck on the Midtown contributes to the brighter sound over the 335.  I also have a '75 pancake body Les Paul Deluxe with 3 pc maple neck and a '92 Les Paul Custom with all mahogany body and 1pc mahogany neck.  The LP Custom is considerably darker/warmer than the '75.  Again, I think the maple vs mahogany neck is going to influence the overall sound more than the body.  I would guess, after pickups, neck woods will influence the guitar sound the most.  Which, by the way, regarding the laminate top, get what ever does it for you visually.  Get the Koa.  Of any body construction piece (body, laminate top for body, neck, fingerboard), I think the laminate top will influence the sound the least.

Body - Mahogany
Body Top - What ever does it for you
Neck - Mahogany
Fretboard - Rosewood

Again, not an expert, but I would guess this wood combo and whatever pickups the 335 use will get you close to the 335 sound.

Do you know which pickups the Gibby had? This is the most important part by huge miles...

And stick to 24.75" scale lenght

Personally, I think maple body with flame maple top would be cool.
+ Mahogany neck 24.75 conversion
+ Duncan '59's.
Fingerboard is your choice.  Ebony would be cool.

Back