Wolfgang neck profile feels small/thin

cromulent

Feels much smaller/thinner than Fender's "modern C" profile.  I expected it to be bigger. 

Warmoth's standard thin is basically the same as Fender's modern C, right?

cromulent said:
Feels much smaller/thinner than Fender's "modern C" profile.  I expected it to be bigger. 

Warmoth's standard thin is basically the same as Fender's modern C, right?

Not the same but similar. Nut width has a massive impact on neck profile feel. Most fenders are 1.65” so if you’ve got a 1 5/8” nut then it will feel smaller.

As already stated, nut width has a massive impact on how big a neck feels. The Wolfgang profile is deeper than Standard Thin, but if the nut width on the former is smaller the neck could feel smaller.

The Aaron said:
As already stated, nut width has a massive impact on how big a neck feels. The Wolfgang profile is deeper than Standard Thin, but if the nut width on the former is smaller the neck could feel smaller.

The nut widths are basically identical between the 2 necks I'm comparing.

My first asymmetric neck profile has me thinking a lot about playing mechanics and the concept as a whole.  Aaron, what about a video on asymmetric neck profiles in general?

cromulent said:
The Aaron said:

The nut widths are basically identical between the 2 necks I'm comparing.

My first asymmetric neck profile has me thinking a lot about playing mechanics and the concept as a whole.  Aaron, what about a video on asymmetric neck profiles in general?

I'll add it to the list!

I own 3 Wolfgang neck, two 1 1/16 and one 1.650, boh are chunkier than my fender deep C

I've used a number of the warmoth neck profiles and to me, assuming the nut width is the same, the wolf gang is slightly thicker where it counts and just a skosh thicker where it doesn't.

Spud said:
Anything under 8.5" is too thin IMO
What are you trying to say?!?
8.5” deep ( thickness) is too thin for a neck? I pray not.

8.5 radius provides a neck not thick enough (what if it’s 1.5 “ deep- thickness)

Again what exactly you trying to say? And why didn’t you say it plainly?

TBurst Std said:
Spud said:

8.5 radius provides a neck not thick enough (what if it’s 1.5 “ deep- thickness)

I fixed it up, I pray you will be appeased. Sorry for the typing error my friend!

Spud said:
TBurst Std said:
Spud said:

I fixed it up, I pray you will be appeased. Sorry for the typing error.
Sorry, my mind didn’t go to a miss placed decimal.  All good and understandable.  Sorry if I sounded discourteous.  It’s been that type of week for 2 weeks now at work.

Having to re-proof others errors for governance purposes.

TBurst Std said:
Spud said:
TBurst Std said:
Spud said:

I fixed it up, I pray you will be appeased. Sorry for the typing error.
Sorry, my mind didn’t go to a miss placed decimal.  All good and understandable.  Sorry if I sounded discourteous.  It’s been that type of week for 2 weeks now at work.

Having to re-proof others errors for governance purposes.

I accept your apology and hope you can find some solace, perhaps through counseling.

I just got the Wolfgang and it feels incredibly small. With that said, it is a 1-5/8" nut, but all of my aftermarket necks (2 from Warmoth and 1 from Musikraft as well as my G&L Legacy) have 1-5/8" nuts. My neck from Musikraft is the asymmetrical neck at .81"-.91" and is their response to Warmoth's Wolfgang neck. The Musikraft is actually smaller than the Warmoth (my caliper shows .81"-.95"), but it feels significantly bigger. I think it's got more shoulders on it - more of a D or U profile - as opposed to the Wolfgang which feels more like an asymmetric C.

Last edited:
Well Edward stood only 5'8"
BucketHead is 6’6” 😉
Buckethead Signature Les Paul's body and neck to accommodate Buckethead's size and playing style by building them to an over sized scale. Unlike the typical 24 3/4" scale, the Buckethead Signature Les Paul's neck is a massive 27!" That means that it is both well suited for players with large hands and those who can appreciate the extra space on the high frets for serious shredding. Also, the neck shape itself is built to Buckethead's specifications, tapering from .955" at the twelfth fret down to .870 at the nut for extra speed and comfort. That means you get all the fretboard space you need to tear it up. And to accommodate the slightly heavier body style, the mahogany back is chambered, which also adds extra reonance to the Buckethead Signature Les Paul.

Back