Wiring Kit for Guitar (Color Coding?)

GuitarMadCap

My first build parts are set to arrive tomorrow. I purchased the wiring kit and am wondering about the plastic insulated (black, red and white) and the braided/shielded (grey) wires. Should I follow a color coding system? I assume the shielded wire would be best so I should use it first until it’s all used up. I’m guessing black is for grounding. This is going to be pretty straightforward Strat wiring.

By "the wiring kit", do you mean the one Warmoth sells?

I assume the shielded wire would be best so I should use it first until it’s all used up. I’m guessing black is for grounding. This is going to be pretty straightforward Strat wiring.

Strat wiring typically doesn't use the braided (what I believe you are calling "shielded") style wire. What pickups are you using? Colors can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, from what I have gathered.

There are plenty of wiring diagrams available online. You might find slight differences between them, of course. Do some research before cutting wires and soldering.

By "the wiring kit", do you mean the one Warmoth sells?
Yes, that’s the one.
What pickups are you using?
David Allen 69 VooDoo’s
Do some research before cutting wires and soldering.
I’m ready to start building this. I’ve done months of research and swapped pickups in many guitars to get used to soldering. I have the right schematics printed for my build and feel confident to begin. I’m just asking if there is a difference in the different colors of wire in the Warmoth wiring kit. Sorry if my question wasn’t clear.
Strat wiring typically doesn't use the braided (what I believe you are calling "shielded") style wire.
I think I’m reading I shouldn’t use the shielded braided grey wire from the Warmoth wiring kit for this build.

I’m just asking if there is a difference in the different colors of wire in the Warmoth wiring kit. Sorry if my question wasn’t clear.

I'm not a master guitar electrician by any means, but I'm pretty sure the only difference in the colors of the wire is the colors of the wire.

I think I’m reading I shouldn’t use the shielded braided grey wire from the Warmoth wiring kit for this build.

You can do things however you want, I guess. The braided outer wire, I believe, is more typically used on Gibson style builds. The outer layer is the ground. The inner is the hot.

I'm sure others with more skills than me will be around soon. Either to confirm my reply or to try to steer you into some kind of crazy wiring that you and I never before imagined! :D

You should use shielded wire to the output jack. The other hook-up wire is useful on switches etc as jumpers, where you would also tend to use shielding in the cavities themselves.

Colours can be used to preference.

Not sure if you’ve finished it up yet, but I like to continue the color codes of the pickups. If they are white hot and black grounds I follow that through out the wiring, keeping the white for all signals and blacks for all grounds. If they are color coded for position (some use black/yellow/red to indicate position) then it’s kind of up to you.

While the color of the sheath doesn't affect the physical properties of the wire or signal, they are important as visual indicators of function. If the pickup wires were all the same color, there'd be no good, quick way to identify signal vs. ground, as PFDarkside referenced.

In a kit that's not pre-wired, where it's all just a bunch of parts in a box, then certainly, the color of the wire doesn't matter as long as you're consistent in where each wire goes and what it's meant to do. But as best-practice, following a certain convention is recommended under the assumption that you're not going to be the only person looking at the wiring, or that you're going to remember what you did in a few years.

In home wiring, even if you're not the electrician who ran the wire from the breaker box to your fixtures, if you open up the fixture and see white, black, and bare, you'd know which wire does what and where it goes. And be able to safely replace an outlet or switch or install a new light.

the color of the sheath doesn't affect the physical properties of the wire or signal
Thanks for clarification. I began with the black (ground) / white (hot) system but quickly ran out and moved on to red. Now that red is gone I’ll use blue. There is some yellow in there too. She’ll be very colorful for sure.

Back