Wiring ideas for 2 pickup J- Bass

line6man said:
I'm not sure what you're asking. A concentric rotary toggle and potentiometer combo, with a single shaft, and push/pull mechanism to select which gang of the pot the shaft controls? I don't think I've ever seen such a thing.

Yeah, I didn't think it existed.  It would be cool though. 

Mayflown said:
Hey Hannaugh!

I've got a SD bass preamp if you want it.  I Believe it's an ST-2 (two volume, stacked tone (treble bass).  Three knob holes.

Yours for shipping.

Trevor

I can't find it online.  Seymour Duncan makes it?  I'll probably take it if I can find some more info on it though.  Thanks Trevor! 

line6man said:
I'm not sure what you're asking. A concentric rotary toggle and potentiometer combo, with a single shaft, and push/pull mechanism to select which gang of the pot the shaft controls? I don't think I've ever seen such a thing.

I know I haven't, and I've seen a lot of hardware in a lot of things. I suspect such a device, even if it did exist, would be too deep to fit in a control cavity anyway.

line6man said:
I agree, but a surprising number of Jazz bass players and PJ players are going for rotary toggles these days.

I didn't buy the bass because it has a rotary toggle, but I do like it on my Hagstrom.

My two cents, I'll agree with most of what has been said already.  However, a lot of it is because the sound I like.  I like the neck pickup and don't really use the bridge pickup.  I like the Jazz pickups because they tend to grind a bit more.  Use the passive set up and get the pickups working how you like them.  The active pre's are great and can really fine tune things, but you can't really get them to make a set up that doesn't sound the way you want sound great.  So get the passive sound nailed and go from there.  Also, if you like the Morphine sound, make sure to find a way to get the pickups in series.  It really nails it.
Patrick

hannaugh said:
Okay, I think I'm gonna go with master volume, blend, and a stacked tone pot. 

Stacked, as in two tones? That won't wont, they will interact as the blend reaches the center position.

hannaugh said:
Huh?  :tard:  Can you elaborate? 

Conveniently, I was actually asked about this the other day.
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/build-number-2-r-v-809310/#post11565945

Tone pots operate parallel to the signal, and when a blend pot is at the center detent, both pickups are parallel to each other, which means both tones affect both pickups. As you roll away from the center detent, a resistance is placed between the two pickups/tone pots, which increasingly prevents their interaction. This, obviously, would be quite inconvenient.

I do mine with passive RG Muy Grande Jbass pickups,  add a Gibson 3-way toggle to the VVT circuit, works for me...

jbassknobs.jpg

(pic is from post asking opinions on knobs)

jackthehack said:
I do mine with passive RG Muy Grande Jbass pickups,  add a Gibson 3-way toggle to the VVT circuit, works for me...

jbassknobs.jpg

(pic is from post asking opinions on knobs)

Do you like yours with the wiper terminals of the volumes as inputs, or outputs?

Back