Wiring help, for new project guitar

Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this..  I am fairly new to wiring and don't want to fry anything in my rig when plugging this thing in.

What I would like to do is follows:
Configuration:  S, S, H
Volume (push/pull), Tone, Tone
5 way blade switch (possibly a superswitch)

5 way blade switch: (volume pushed in)
Position 1: Neck single coil only
Position 2: Neck and middle single coil
Position 3: Middle single coil only
Position 4: Middle and tapped coil closest to bridge from the humbucker
Position 5: Tapped single coil from humbucker closest to bridge only

5 way blade switch:  (volume pulled out)
Position 1: Neck single coil only
Position 2: Neck single coil and tapped single coil from humbucker closest to middle of guitar
Position 3: Middle and tapped coil from the humbucker furthest from bridge
Position 4: Tapped single coil from humbucker furthest from bridge only
Position 5: Humbucker w/ volume and tone

Momentary microswitch configured as a kill switch that is a silent make before break

Latching microswitch that bypasses volume and tone, regardless of what position the 5-way switch is in, sending humbucker directly to output jack.

Confusing?  It is to me too..  Does anyone know how to wire something like this?

Can anyone recommend someone who would be willing to draw up a wiring diagram for this?  Are there services out there who lay out wiring diagrams??

Thanks again!

Just to bypass the humbucker regardless of the position of the 5 way you also need to bypass the 5 way in addition to volume and tone.

I discuss this at this link.

https://stratamania.wordpress.com/2014/12/03/4pdt-blower-switch-for-guitar/

For the five way you definitely need a superswitch I believe to attempt your suggested choices.  Most push pulls on volume pots are DPDT and probably would not give enough options for what you want it to do.

For the kill switch that needs to go on the output towards the output jack of the guitar for it to be functional in all positions or when the blower switch is engaged.  If you look at the diagrams at the link I posted the kill switch would go between the blower switch and the output jack. All that would be needed is a simple on, off non latching switch on the hot wire.

For the two options of five way selector positions it may be worth investigating other diagrams of how ohers have gone about it.

And finally, have a really good think about it prior to embarking on such an endeavour as the final result may not really be worth the effort.

stratamania said:
And finally, have a really good think about it prior to embarking on such an endeavour as the final result may not really be worth the effort.

That was me when I decided Jimmy Page wiring was really cool and I absolutely needed it on my SG. ....Yeah, oops.

Also, edit for Norm -

This link doesn't have EXACTLY what you want, but maybe you can Frankenstein one of the humbucker references with one of their more robust single diagrams:

https://sites.google.com/site/phostenixwiringdiagrams/custom

Gah! Edit 2: One of these look like what you want? (Specifically
HSS With Dual Gang Push-Pull Volume Pot?) The kill-switch could be shoehorned in after the fact since that should be the easy part in all this.

https://sites.google.com/site/phostenixwiringdiagrams/hss-guitars

stratamania said:
Just to bypass the humbucker regardless of the position of the 5 way you also need to bypass the 5 way in addition to volume and tone.

For the five way you definitely need a superswitch I believe to attempt your suggested choices.  Most push pulls on volume pots are DPDT and probably would not give enough options for what you want it to do.

For the kill switch that needs to go on the output towards the output jack of the guitar for it to be functional in all positions or when the blower switch is engaged.  If you look at the diagrams at the link I posted the kill switch would go between the blower switch and the output jack. All that would be needed is a simple on, off non latching switch on the hot wire.

For the two options of five way selector positions it may be worth investigating other diagrams of how ohers have gone about it.

Thank you very much..  This is great stuff!

weezingthejuicebodhi said:
stratamania said:

That was me when I decided Jimmy Page wiring was really cool and I absolutely needed it on my SG. ....Yeah, oops.

Also, edit for Norm -

This link doesn't have EXACTLY what you want, but maybe you can Frankenstein one of the humbucker references with one of their more robust single diagrams:

https://sites.google.com/site/phostenixwiringdiagrams/custom

Gah! Edit 2: One of these look like what you want? (Specifically
HSS With Dual Gang Push-Pull Volume Pot?) The kill-switch could be shoehorned in after the fact since that should be the easy part in all this.

https://sites.google.com/site/phostenixwiringdiagrams/hss-guitars

These certainly will help..  I figured while it won't be "exactly" what I am looking to do, it definitely points me in a direction.  Before it was all just in the ether..  My biggest fear is shorting something in my Axe FX while testing it. 

NormanThePhotographer said:
These certainly will help..  I figured while it won't be "exactly" what I am looking to do, it definitely points me in a direction.  Before it was all just in the ether..  My biggest fear is shorting something in my Axe FX while testing it.

Nah, there wouldn't be anything strong enough coming out of the guitar to fry the input on anything. Other than maybe your ears with annoying buzzing  :eek:ccasion14:

NormanThePhotographer said:
stratamania said:

Thank you very much..  This is great stuff!

Thanks, good to know.

Back