Wireless may go the way of the DoDo bird

GBag

This is a copy of an Email I received from my very good friend James Stoffo. He is one of the Premier RF technicians in the country. His resume is top shelf including events such as the Emmys, the Grammys, the Olympics, Superbowl, Etc.... The web site mentioned is still in it's infancy but will soon contain a wealth of info on how we can do our part to avoid becoming cable slaves once again.

Friends in the audio industry,

I am constructing a self help wireless systems web site with the goal of spreading the word about the White Space threat to our industry.  As you all should know, there is a possibility that 2009 will bring the end to wireless microphones, intercoms, in ears monitors and IFB systems in the VHF and UHF television RF bands.  Also included is much information for the layperson regarding wireless systems operation.  Please check out this link when you have a moment:

http://rfguystoff.googlepages.com/home

I would appreciate your feedback on what more might be added for total RF support of end users.  If any data seems inaccurate, please let me know.  This is a work in progress.  For input on this site, please e-mail my GMail account.  There is a link to this address on each page of the site.  Share the information with anyone that you think will benefit from it.  I appreciate your time and input.  I look forward to seeing you all soon.

Sincerely,

James Stoffo

the bassist in my band uses a wirless system on his rig. I frequntly fill in for him when he cant make it and I just plug my bass into his rig with a 20" cable. It seems unnecessary and i get better tone from my bass with a cable than he does with the wireless.

Brian

I look forward to a season of American Idol where the "singers/contestants" have to drag a hundred feet of mic cable behind them.

Bass is a problem with a lot of wireless sytems because they drop off badly at the low end, often already around 80Hz. To compensate the level gets turned up way beyond the 'ouch' point and your sound quality is down the drain. If you plan to do wireless with a bass you should look at the numbers before buying. I do hope your cable is 20 feet and not 20 inches. I know most bass players are not all that dynamic on stage but this is really chaining yourself to that amp.

René

" just plug my bass into his rig with a 20" cable"  LOL wow i just did the Spinal Tap Stonehenge thing......

Brian

(British accent) "This one goes to eleven".    Down to 11 Hz that is.  X2 rackmount

xdr95_system_w_ears.jpg

Wow, no more wireless guitars, wireless mics, in-ear monitors; all things that make bands in small bars look ridiculous. Now, if they could just do something about lead singer dudes who wear eye makeup...

Back