Winkinson VS-100: What does this bolt do?

Steve_Karl

Hey there,
On the bottom of the gizmo / hole that accepts the trem arm there's a hex bolt. (see attached)
Does anyone know what that hex bolt actually does?

My hope is that maybe it allows adjustment of where the arm stops at the top of it's tightening,
but I don't want to mess with it until sure.

Thank you!

Attachments

• wilkinson-vs100g-01.jpg
    wilkinson-vs100g-01.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 192
It is for adjustment of the tremolo arm tension. In other words it adjusts how freely or otherwise the arm rotates dependent on personal taste.

stratamania said:
It is for adjustment of the tremolo arm tension. In other words it adjusts how freely or otherwise the arm rotates dependent on personal taste.

Humm ... That bottom bolt 'seems to be' totally tightened, as in all the way in,
and yet if I loosen the much smaller collar adjustment screw that is right below where the arm is inserted, the arm will flop totally loose.

Does that bottom bolt need to be backed out to tighten the rotation of the arm?

Steve_Karl said:
stratamania said:

Humm ... That bottom bolt 'seems to be' totally tightened, as in all the way in,
and yet if I loosen the much smaller collar adjustment screw that is right below where the arm is inserted, the arm will flop totally loose.

Does that bottom bolt need to be backed out to tighten the rotation of the arm?

Sorry, I was referring to the collar adjustment screw which is what I thought you were asking about. I would leave the bottom bolt as it is. It is part of how the mechanism is held together. Loosening it would just increase the mechanism possibly being able to flop around. This bolt may have been added to prevent that as the earlier ones may not have had it and could sometimes be prone to flop or wobble.

No problem.
So, I have 2 VS-100 guitars and the first one has the arm settings just right. As I wind the arm into the hole it slowly gets tighter until it will stay where I put it, and if I back it off one turn it will fall down when I let go of it.

The second one, not so adjustable. It's either too tight or too loose.
That's why I was wondering if that bottom bolt might be some kind of adjustment.

Have you got a photo of the bottom of it Steve?

I found this Wilkinson VS100 https://g-gotoh.com/product/vs100n/?lang=en where I could see it. It seems to be referred to as a stud bolt. Perhaps it is also adjustable, one way to find out and can always be tightened again if it is not.

Thank you!

It's a tight fit in there when it's in the guitar, but I'll try it.

After some thought I'm guessing it might be the part that the handle screws into.

This is how the good one works.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuk5r6AUNHY[/youtube]

stratamania said:
Have you already tried adjusting the collar adjustment screw?

On the one that works correctly, oldest of the 2, yes, I got it to that point and haven't touched it for a long time.

One the one that is odd, yes, quite a few times.
It always ends up either too lose or too tight.
And I do realise it's a very delicate adjustment. The slightest movement of the collar bolt does a lot.

I don't use that guitar a lot, but next time out of the case I think I'm going to try some lubrication tricks for the bar going into the collar.
I'll start with some powdered graphite and if that doesn't eventually get it I'll ... think about it some more. :)

Maybe the inside of the collar needs to be roughed up a bit with some 600 grit paper.
That might give it more range between loose and very grabby.

Hi Steve, I just had a thought perhaps contact Kate at https://www.katewilkinsonenterprises.com/ and either she or Trevor may be able to help further with your question. You could link this thread to save having to type it all again.

stratamania said:
Hi Steve, I just had a thought perhaps contact Kate at https://www.katewilkinsonenterprises.com/ and either she or Trevor may be able to help further with your question. You could link this thread to save having to type it all again.

Thanks! I was having trouble finding a link for contact.

Also, after some more visual inspection I'm seeing a knurled nut on the bottom of the main plate that holds the arm socket in place.
I suspect that if I want to change the final stopping place for the arm, i.e. the place where it is fully tight and will go no further,
it might be to loosen that nut and turn the whole socket and re-tighten, but maybe ... just maybe ... if I'm lucky ...
that hex bolt at the bottom of the socket is actually a quicker adjustment for that final position.

Think of it in a similar was as the  main truss rod adjustment and the quick side adjustment.

I also found a better photo showing the hex bolt.

Attachments

• bkktw6pyuvh5sbhvxojs_Arrow.jpg
    bkktw6pyuvh5sbhvxojs_Arrow.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 177
Back