Will a Warmoth pickguard on a Charvel?

tele_builder

I was recently fortunate enough to get an absolutely amazing deal on a 2009ish Charvel USA Production So-Cal Style 1. This guitar is in an HH configuration with a Floyd.

I've quickly fallen in love with this absolutely killer guitar, but I would like to mod the electronics and switching a bit. Currently it just has a single volume knob and a Les Paul style pickup switch located on the bottom right of the pickguard. I would like it to have a blade switch, volume, and tone.

Will a Warmoth Strat pickguard fit this?

Specifically:
  • .09 Black Matte (or .06?)
  • Right handed
  • Humbucker (Uncovered) neck
  • No middle pickup
  • Humbucker (Bridge) neck
  • Floyd Rose cut
  • 11 Hole Strap
  • No SRV Countersink
  • Controls
    • Volume 1
    • Tone 2
    • Blade Switch
Also can they not countersink the pickup and blade switches too?

Attachments

• charvel.png
    charvel.png
    423.3 KB · Views: 11
It should fit, but the screw holes may not line up with the existing holes in the body.
You need to at least make sure that the neck width at the heel is the same as Fender (2-3/16").

You would probably be better to look at somewhere that offers pickguards for Charvel such as WD Music but there will be others. Charvels are not the same as vintage Fender specs.

Warmoth's site has .pdf pickguard outlines you can print out to scale and line up on your guitar to see if it'll fit. If not, WD Music certainly is a decent shout, though they don't offer all pickguards to all countries, and quickly looking now it seems their Charvel guards are all temporarily unavailable. (And the only So-Cal version they have is the 2010+ MIM one.)

The absolute most sure-fire way to get what you want is to take off your current pickguard and either make a very careful tracing and send it to a custom pickguard company, or send the guard itself. Terrapin Guitars are my custom pickguard manufacturer of choice; their prices are very reasonable and they can accomodate virutally any custom work you can name, as long as you do talk to them first and give them a detailed description to work with. (If you can draw them a diagram of what you want, even if it isn't perfectly to-scale, that's even better.) They're much faster than WD Music, too.

You need to at least make sure that the neck width at the heel is the same as Fender (2-3/16").

It is not, MIA Charvel neck heels have always been 2-1/4" wide. The best bet for the OP is to get a pickguard from one of the custom pickguard companies that offer more options or that will custom cut from a tracing.

Specifically:
  • No SRV Countersink
Also can they not countersink the pickup and blade switches too?

The Warmoth pickguard won't fit, not without customization. But the SRV Countersink = countersinking the pickup and blade switches too.

Back