Wilkinson Ultracaster - Candy Red Tele

Fat Pete

Following on from here, it's over the top pictures time! Again.

Now I like a nice quilted maple top as much as the next guy (well maybe not quite that much, he's just weird about them), and how I've managed to avoid the temptation of black korina is beyond me but... Solid colours = cool. Metallics = yummy. And oh... the sweet, sweet candy...

Warmoth's application of the finish on this is an absolute marvel of the modern age, so if you can cope without too much natural grain being on show (and can deal with the concept of pickguards - electric guitars sometimes have them, deal with it); scroll down my friends, scroll down...

Looking pretty in the cold northern English daylight
YIdDsyB.jpg

3FibuKU.jpg

Sexy curves
R3RRT9V.jpg

wGs0YAn.jpg

I guess the neck would have labelled 'bonus birdseye' if it had been in the showcase. There's a subtle curl/flame on the back too
mdQPapi.jpg

sxbHPFV.jpg

NlMgzqL.jpg

Open-gear Sperzels
BzRgiV2.jpg

These naturally-lit shots are all well and good; but I don't know about you, I don't tend to play out much in the daytime.

We all know the electric guitar is a creature of the night,
And only shows its true colours under incandescent light,
With flaming... Stop! Somebody shoot me or something! Let's just say I like it and leave it at that.
HkZLO2w.jpg

gubaymm.jpg

R23oGjP.jpg

4UYynyz.jpg

eogPSph.jpg

5mT72zz.jpg

NPCHt4v.jpg

jNQd2OI.jpg

LsWEIQm.jpg

hmiX37S.jpg

ZqfMGg0.jpg

Cb9eZ17.jpg

Lastly, a cute family photo
XZp8RYK.jpg

Oh, go to hell, Pete.

:icon_jokercolor:

That's some beautiful axe-age, sir.  Well done indeed.

Beautiful guitar.  Just lovely.  Love the color.  Great style to it over all.  Nicely done.

Need to shine that up the pickup ring, tho.  What is it made out of?  Aluminum?  Pig iron?  Weird.

Very classy Pete, I always dig seeing tele's with hums and a trem, even if it is a kahler. But chrome goes nicely with that color, it maybe a little over the top but a polished chrome pick guard would be sweet...

That Kahler is remarkably smooth and returns to neutral reliably. I never thought I'd want one, but that one convinced me to at least stop bad-mouthing them. Left the locking nut off, since the neck has locking tuners and a good Graphtech nut, so it doesn't have those issues to deal with.

I sure do like a classic country/western instrument! Do you know, like, "The Old Ragged Cross" and "Turkey in the Straw With Diamonds" and that stuff? :glasses10: But maybe next time, you could get a RED one.... :icon_biggrin:

I always thought those alumitone triples were a solution in search of a problem, but I think you finally found it. That looks sharp.

Bloody hell, Pete, that is freaking magnificent!  :eek:

Lots of chunky chromed parts on there....matches the metallic paint theme very well.

What sort of bridge/trem IS that? It's massive!

And it's very well balanced out by the chrome of the pickup and the chunky chrome tuners. Works well as a theme.. 

:icon_thumright:

Steve_Karl said:
Wow!
Beautiful guitar and great work on the photos!
Thanks!

Bagman67 said:
Oh, go to hell, Pete.

:icon_jokercolor:

That's some beautiful axe-age, sir.  Well done indeed.
Already on my way!

DarkPenguin said:
Beautiful guitar.  Just lovely.  Love the color.  Great style to it over all.  Nicely done.

Need to shine that up the pickup ring, tho.  What is it made out of?  Aluminum?  Pig iron?  Weird.

Thanks, and yep, pig iron because that seemed the easiest stuff to use what with having the foundry in the garage.

It's actually imaginary chrome finish - you have to do the imagining. It will be in real chrome sometime soon.

Cagey said:
I forgot how beautiful that fiddle is. Thanks for posting it!

Thanks, and thanks again for your work and your patience with my mithering.

DangerousR6 said:
Very classy Pete, I always dig seeing tele's with hums and a trem, even if it is a kahler. But chrome goes nicely with that color, it maybe a little over the top but a polished chrome pick guard would be sweet...

Thanks Dangerous - a little over the top!? Must try harder...

SustainerPlayer said:
You GOM it. I'll vote it.  :icon_thumright:

It's a deal!

StübHead said:
I sure do like a classic country/western instrument! Do you know, like, "The Old Ragged Cross" and "Turkey in the Straw With Diamonds" and that stuff? :glasses10: But maybe next time, you could get a RED one.... :icon_biggrin:

You know, Stüb, I thought about it. For now I'll stick with the rawhide.

swarfrat said:
I always thought those alumitone triples were a solution in search of a problem, but I think you finally found it. That looks sharp.

Thanks!

Re-Pete said:
Bloody hell, Pete, that is freaking magnificent!  :eek:

Lots of chunky chromed parts on there....matches the metallic paint theme very well.

What sort of bridge/trem IS that? It's massive!

And it's very well balanced out by the chrome of the pickup and the chunky chrome tuners. Works well as a theme.. 

:icon_thumright:

Thanks Re-Pete, the trem is a Kahler. Big in the eighties -  unlike myself, I was Thin Pete back then. They were a fairly serious rival to Floyd Rose for a while and quite popular with metal guitarists. Adrian Belew first turned me on to them and once you're used to them they make Floyds - or anything else based on the Strat trem - feel... well just a bit wrong.

stratamania said:
That looks a rather canny guitar. Very nice Pete.

:kewlpics:

Thanks - it is indeed canny - and bonny too!

Surf n Music said:
Beautiful guitar Pete. I love that 12 string too. It is awesome looking.  :headbang1:

Thanks Surf, the 12 very nearly ended up looking like your very tasty Strat's overgrown twin. While I was struggling with the Wudtone finish there was a natural binding surf green Strat body (no f-hole though) in the showcase that so nearly found its way over the pond.

DangerousR6 said:
Yes, how does the 12 play? I've been lurking at doing one for a while now... :toothy12:

Like my other Warmoth necks, once the nut was sorted out it set up ridiculously well. The only negative is that you certainly know there's an extra set of tuners hanging off the end - the headstock does want to head south. Maybe losing the smurf's hat/ear/whatever would help a little!

stratamania said:
Fat Pete said:
Photof*cket pics updated to imgur for your viewing pleasure.

Well done...this is my favourite guitar of yours. CAR and chrome are hard to beat.

Thanks! I was spurred on to update my gallery posts by you updating your old build threads. It was cool re-visiting your tea-stained Tele and the purple Strat.

Fat Pete said:
stratamania said:
Fat Pete said:
Photof*cket pics updated to imgur for your viewing pleasure.

Well done...this is my favourite guitar of yours. CAR and chrome are hard to beat.

Thanks! I was spurred on to update my gallery posts by you updating your old build threads. It was cool re-visiting your tea-stained Tele and the purple Strat.

Thanks Pete, glad me biting the bullet spurred you on too.

Back