wilkinson trems on a fender strat

nathan a

Peanut gallery:
I've been wanting to upgrade my fender usa strat for a while. My G string (how dirty  :eek:  ) is always going way out of tune, even if I hardly mess with the trem at all. So I want to smooth out the nut, throw on locking tuners, and replace the trem.

I don't like stock strat trems anyway, so even if my tunings issues are case specific, i.e. something in the saddle or block just needs filing, I still want to replace the bugger.

ANYWAY my question is, do you guys know how easily I could make this swap? I know I'd have to drill a few holes for studs, but will any full-on routing be necessary to get this to fit? To clarify, it's this one I'm considering.

wilky-exploded.jpg

i think you'd be better off getting a callaham replacement, that is if the trem you have is a 6 screw version. Id still go with a graphite nut and locking tuners.

Brian

No routing is required unless you intend to recess the unit. If you have a 6 hole drilled on the body just enlarge the 2 outtermost hole to 3/8 inch and hammer the stud in with a rubber mallet. Might want to use a drill press to insure accuracy but if not using the hand drill might make the hole a little big causing a loose stud insert fit, so a little bit of epoxy might be needed to make sure it's a tight fit (coat the thing with wax so it can be removed later on)

The wilkinson's sold on the Warmoth websites are NOT recessed; maybe other models, but these just use a flush mount route with stud holes drilled per spec.

If the action is high you can just shim the neck slightly. The warmoth looks like a nonrecessed wilkinson, but I did play a recessed one the other day. It was definately not my cup of tea.  :tard:

all this over a measly G string... hehehe it had to be said.!  :tard:  :redflag:

i got a wilkinson on my warmoth that's not recessed and the action ain't high at all.  no shims or nothin.  wilkinson makes some "vintage" style trems too ya know.  never played one so i don't know hot much of an improvement in feel to expect from it but i'd imagine that it would prolly be an easier swap.  should check into the string spacing and all that stuff first tho i suppose....good luck

Rico

Didn't feel like starting a new thread.. What do you guys think of this pickup possibility?

Fender texas special neck
rio grande tallboy middle
rio grande halfbreed bridge

Eh?

willyk said:
the tallboy in the neck as well. IMHO :icon_thumright:

That's what I was thinking at first... but I remember CB saying the texas special neck pup was his favorite strat neck pickup ever. Usually nobody on this board is so decisive so I thought that had to mean something..?

nathan a said:
willyk said:
the tallboy in the neck as well. IMHO :icon_thumright:

That's what I was thinking at first... but I remember CB saying the texas special neck pup was his favorite strat neck pickup ever. Usually nobody on this board is so decisive so I thought that had to mean something..?

I ended up with a MG/HB/TB set in my recently completed korinakaster. The tallboy impressed me immensely. But that's my ears, my amps, my guitar and my opinion. Why not buy the RGs as a set and save some bucks. If you still want to try a Fender put the money saved towards it and later on you could sell on whichever you don't want for your build (or save it for the next one :icon_thumright:)

nathan a said:
Didn't feel like starting a new thread.. What do you guys think of this pickup possibility?

Fender texas special neck
rio grande tallboy middle
rio grande halfbreed bridge

Eh?

I feel like it could be incredible man. You really should have started a new thread! Personally I would go Muy Grande at the bridge but I like very high output Strat bridge PUs like the Quarter Pounder.

Back