Why no roasted maple body option?

Because I know that roasted maple necks don't require finish. But as I have said...

Apples to oranges. Unroasted, unfinished necks warp and then become unplayable. Bodies are 1.75" thick and wide, they aren't as prone to warping warp as a neck and, if they do, it won't affect play-ability.

If you just want a natural look, you can use wipe-on finishes with most bodies. Danish oil is popular (it's what the Fender Custom Shop and many boutiques uses for oil finished necks). John Suhr highly recommends Emmet's Good Stuff Wood Finish (wipe-on urethane) for a "naked" feel on body or neck. or hit it with a few coats of spray shellac.

Apples to oranges. Unroasted, unfinished necks warp and then become unplayable. Bodies are 1.75" thick and wide, they aren't as prone to warping warp as a neck and, if they do, it won't affect play-ability.

If you just want a natural look, you can use wipe-on finishes with most bodies. Danish oil is popular (it's what the Fender Custom Shop and many boutiques uses for oil finished necks). John Suhr highly recommends Emmet's Good Stuff Wood Finish (wipe-on urethane) for a "naked" feel on body or neck. or hit it with a few coats of spray shellac.
Yeah I'm leaning toward just getting a roasted swamp ash and then hitting it with a few coats of tru oil if necessary.

Juice isn't worth the squeeze on roasted maple. If I got a maple body, I'd ask for an extra light one, and get it weight relieved, and then use Duck's finish advice. Many years ago ovation had a run of solid body all maple guitars, with clear coat that aged to a slight amber, and they were gorgeous.

I'm interested in an unfinished roasted body if it would spare me the cost and time of going through the paint department. Roasted maple necks don't require a finish so I was hoping a roasted maple body wouldn't either. Or any roasted wood for that matter.
Bodies in general don't require a finish, since they're not subject to or vulnerable to the same stresses as necks, since they're thick and wide, while necks are slim and narrow.

I THINK AN ALL MAPLE hollow thinline would be good, , wouldnt be too light
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F9408544b-2d88-4ba0-b058-2a133bd3d6b6_888x499.jpeg

Bodies in general don't require a finish, since they're not subject to or vulnerable to the same stresses as necks, since they're thick and wide, while necks are slim and narrow.
You think an unfinished body would really be ok? I'm tempted...

You have no real risk of anything going wrong except that it will get dirty. You can always clean it up with some scotchbrite and mineral spirits if it gets icky.

If one looks at those reliced Rory Gallagher Strats there isn’t much finish left on them - so, yeah, it probably won’t be much of an issue having an unfinished body

Fender-Custom-Shop-Rory-Gallagher-Relic-Stratocaster-3-Color-Sunburst.jpg

If one looks at those reliced Rory Gallagher Strats there isn’t much finish left on them - so, yeah, it probably won’t be much of an issue having an unfinished body

Fender-Custom-Shop-Rory-Gallagher-Relic-Stratocaster-3-Color-Sunburst.jpg

IIRC, the bare wood on reliced CS bodies and necks gets an oil finish to seal it from moisture. Ironically, they are designed to hold their appearance in the current state for some time.

Touching an unfinished body would be like licking a popsicle stick. To me it would be unpleasant. I suppose if it was roasted and then burnish Ed. Maybe? Has anyone here tried that?

Touching an unfinished body would be like licking a popsicle stick. To me it would be unpleasant. I suppose if it was roasted and then burnish Ed. Maybe? Has anyone here tried that?

I've tried it, and can confirm that licking unfinished bodies is indeed very unpleasant.

Would not recommend.

Fwiw, maple bodies sound great. I have no doubt a roasted maple body would sound even better. Twould be lighter too.

I had an all maple Carvin semi-hollow that weighed 12 lbs. Great guitar, it was Ferrari Red and had a wicked birdseye neck.

If that thing had been solid, I bet it’d have been 14+ lbs easy.

Back