Why???? Just blowing off some steam about annoying people.

hannaugh

Master Member
I'm just wondering why so many people seem to really get off on going on forums and being snarky and argumentative. 

I just spend an hour on a different site attempting to explain to this guy that lyrics and vocal melody are not the same thing, and it was like he never even read any of my posts, he just kept bringing up totally unrelated points and calling me names.  I was totally nice about it, I explained all my points well, I didn't say anything rude to him at all.  I'm completely baffled by morons like that.

I have no problems with debating certain topics, but I don't understand why people get so personal about it if it is on the internet.  If we were having the conversation face to face, I doubt it ever would have gone there, but because it's the internet it's like "be an a**hole for free day".

Honestly, how much of a loser do you have to be if you get your rocks off insulting people you've never met? 

Okay, venting done.  Resume normal programming...

wrong.jpg

One basic rule - don't waste time getting irritated by people who don't have a direct impact on your life.

This includes 99% of people you meet on-line.

Lyrics are the word choice, melody is the tune that you sing them with.  This is why Weird Al can take a song and change the words.  The song sounds exactly the same musically, but the words are different.

The debate was really "Are lyrics music?", to which I argued no, and stated that coming up with what words to say is the role of the lyricist.  Lyrics are a style of writing, and is technically a type of poetry which includes meter and is closely related to rhythm, which gives it a musical element.  But you don't have to be a musician to write lyrics.  A composer could give you a vocal melody line and you write words to be sung to that line, etc... I had a well backed up argument with lots of examples and analogies.

mayfly said:
One basic rule - don't waste time getting irritated by people who don't have a direct impact on your life.

This includes 99% of people you meet on-line.

Usually stuff like that doesn't bother me, but today, I dunno.  It's just frustrating when you spend time writing a well thought out post and it completely flies over the person's head.  I get annoyed with my high school students for the same reason. 

The point of the topic is largely earelephant in this instance. You didnt insult him , you were civilised in your deamenaor and your topic was a valid one, and he reponded in a  contemtous and viscious way, so just forget about him, cause anything he has to say afterwards isnt worth listening to unless its done in a civil manner.
About the topic in question;  Words in an of themselves can be the sweetest melody/music . Thats what poetry of the enlightenment was all about. Shelly, Keats, Byron.  Yes, tis  'music to the ears'.
That said, most "commercial "Muzak", although it may have some sort of fundamental rythym and ryhme is far from the pretty melody of those aforemnetioned masters of prose/poetry.
On the highest plane of music we see a blending of tone, ryhme, Lyrical beauty and musical crafstmanship  that establishs  the art  as a masterpiece.

Oh certainly, I'm not saying that spoken words don't have shape and timbre to them.  Writing lyrics has a musical element, but it's not the same as writing a melody with acutal notes.  You could take any poem and recite it completely monotone with no inflection at all and it would still be the same words, it just wouldn't sound good. 

Andrew Bird (I'm bringing him up again because he is awesome) is really into writing lyrics based on the shapes of the words and what certain words sound like together, like "sure fatal doses of malcontent through osmosis".  It's really fun to listen to, but sometimes the lyrics don't make a lot of sense.

Ah yes, internet forums...

Because the vast majority of internet posters aren't knowledgeable as they pretend to be, but rather, completely clueless dumbasses.  So, when a knowledgeable individual tries to establish facts on a board, said dumbasses get all offended and butt-hurt because it exposes their lack of knowledge on the subject.  They will get especially vicious if you are a n00b and they are "established".  God forbid anybody should learn.............. this happens everywhere and there's no avoiding it.  And BTW, I'm not a fan of ranking someone based on how many posts they've done; that's just silly... just because someone made 2,500 posts that contained incorrect statements and pure blather doesn't make them an "expert".  I'm also not a fan of allowing someone else to rank you; then your friends can bust up your rep.  Get rid of the ranking system entirely on every board.

hannaugh said:
O  You could take any poem and recite it completely monotone with no inflection at all and it would still be the same words, it just wouldn't sound good. 

Andrew Bird (I'm bringing him up again because he is awesome) is really into writing lyrics based on the shapes of the words and what certain words sound like together, like "sure fatal doses of malcontent through osmosis".  It's really fun to listen to, but sometimes the lyrics don't make a lot of sense.

Thats the The beauty of the Romantic Renassiance "enlightenment  poetry of , for example, Shelley, and his "Ode to a Skylark" . It's NOT   that it really deosn't "sound right" in monotone. Its that sounds illogical and without sanity,  in stark contrast  to  so many other lesser poems that can be recited in  exactly the manner as you described ;  glib, droll, or emotionless, and and still "be the same"  words as you suggest. The  inspiration of the age that produced those pure perfect fluid and musical lines is really beyond parallel untill probably the 1960's and the golden age of rock n Roll gave a a kind of new renissance of ideas and emotion .  Take a look at the link to Shellys Ode to a Skylark" . It really is music in verse i would argue, and although its unaccomanied by an musical isntrument , and isnt actually "sung", the poetry itslef in a "song", if you will.
http://www.poetsgraves.co.uk/Classic%20Poems/Shelley/ode_to_a_skylark.htm

Well, a song is technically a type of poem, as is a ballad.

I think it's interesting that Beowulf is meant to be sung.  Sounds like a concept album in the making. 

When I got into something like that a real person, or an internet person, I remember the maxim from the bible:

Don't cast your pearls before swine.

They are unworthy beasts.

Everytime I hear that I think of a bunch of pigs slipping around on pearls and falling over.

Why would you cast pearls in front of anything?  It's a weird saying when you think about it.  They should have said "pearls of wisdom before swine", cause just "pearls" is confusing. 

I'm pretty sure it's Pork Loins as in, "don't cast your Pork Loins before swine"... makes sense if you think about it.

I am casting out some pearls ---- watchout! :tard: Ahh that felt better.

Rick said:
I am casting out some pearls ---- watchout! :tard: Ahh that felt better.

You are a sick man.  Reminds me of a time in the studio when the engineer said he was going to do a dump of the pro-tools hard drive.  I'll let you guess what our drummer said/did....

Back