Why Doesn't Warmoth Use Nitrocellulose for Finishes?

Ever painted in Nitro?  If so, take your experience and apply it to a business that aims to build, route, and finish custom guitar parts and ship them all over the world with no flaws and deliver in a few weeks.  :)

It's called VOC's. Volatile Organic Compounds. And the West Coast thinks they are evil.

All the reasons stated above are correct. Paint is to guitar manufacturer what cheese is to a taco truck: one of the most expensive and volatile ingredients. It takes a lot of work and research to find the paint that is: 1)safe, 2)cheap, 3)fast, 4)beautiful, 5)durable.

And, in my humble and completely personal opinion, nitro is way overrated. It's become an over-hyped and lazy marketing buzz word. Like hide glue. I've completely moved beyond caring about having things "the way Leo did it". But that's just me.

Not calling the OP lazy or anything. It's just interesting to me that people demand the latest and greatest technology in so many things, but are completely married to a 70 year old design when it comes to guitars.

double A said:
All the reasons stated above are correct. Paint is to guitar manufacturer what cheese is to a taco truck: one of the most expensive and volatile ingredients. It takes a lot of work and research to find the paint that is: 1)safe, 2)cheap, 3)fast, 4)beautiful, 5)durable.

And, in my humble and completely personal opinion, nitro is way overrated. It's become a over-hyped and lazy marketing point. Like hide glue. I've completely moved beyond caring about having things "the way Leo did it". But that's just me.

Thanks, Aaron! Without giving away any proprietary secrets, do you guys use a special concoction that you guys have developed for your gloss finishes?

shaps6 said:
double A said:

And, in my humble and completely personal opinion, nitro is way overrated. It's become a over-hyped and lazy marketing point. Like hide glue. I've completely moved beyond caring about having things "the way Leo did it". But that's just me.

Thanks, Aaron! Without giving away any proprietary secrets, do you guys use a special concoction that you guys have developed for your gloss finishes?

No can do. If I told you, we would find ourselves sitting next to each other in the back of a windowless white van, bound, gagged, and bouncing down an unmarked logging road deep into the woods.  :help:

It would be nice to meet you though. :)

Let's just say it involves a lot of UV rays..... which the West Coast disapproves of, too.... but since no humans are injured (that we know of), they let it pass without comment.

double A said:
shaps6 said:
double A said:

No can do. If I told you, we would find ourselves sitting next to each other in the back of a windowless white van, bound, gagged, and bouncing down an unmarked logging road deep into the woods.  :help:

It would be nice to meet you though. :)

I'd be more into it if it were the A-Team van

Finishing with nitrocellulose lacquer is a LOT of work, which takes time, which costs money. If you wanted a finish like the poly you currently get from Warmoth for $225 but in lacquer, it would likely cost you $600 or more. Catalyzed Poly, on the other hand, you shoot it and you're done. It cures very quickly, but you still have to wait for it to harden enough to buff. But, overall, the actual working time is trivial compared to lacquer.

The problem with catalyzed poly is that due to toxicity and tack time, you need a more elaborate spray booth than something like lacquer requires. But, a formal paint shop will have that so it's not really an issue. It's also more expensive, but even if you triple your finishing material cost by using it, the labor savings are so dramatic that that's not an issue, either. Another problem with poly is in a production situation, it's essentially unrepairable. If you screw it up, you have to strip it and start over. But, a production shop will have a professional finisher who doesn't make stupid mistakes, so that's not an issue, either.

So, in the final analysis, using poly is a no-brainer. Especially when you consider that there's no benefit to lacquer for the end user.

Cagey said:
Finishing with nitrocellulose lacquer is a LOT of work, which takes time, which costs money. If you wanted a finish like the poly you currently get from Warmoth for $225 but in lacquer, it would likely cost you $600 or more. Catalyzed Poly, on the other hand, you shoot it and you're done. It cures very quickly, but you still have to wait for it to harden enough to buff. But, overall, the actual working time is trivial compared to lacquer.

The problem with catalyzed poly is that due to toxicity and tack time, you need a more elaborate spray booth than something like lacquer requires. But, a formal paint shop will have that so it's not really an issue. It's also more expensive, but even if you triple your finishing material cost by using it, the labor savings are so dramatic that that's not an issue, either. Another problem with poly is in a production situation, it's essentially unrepairable. If you screw it up, you have to strip it and start over. But, a production shop will have a professional finisher who doesn't make stupid mistakes, so that's not an issue, either.

So, in the final analysis, using poly is a no-brainer. Especially when you consider that there's no benefit to lacquer for the end user.

Right. I still try to check myself whenever I see "nitro" finish. I spent so long being told that it's the gold standard of finishes. To be honest, I'm still not exactly sure why that would affect the sound of a guitar differently than poly. Especially because a guitar's electronics are really doing most of the work, no?

If you're finishing acoustic guitars, it's important that you don't add any weight or other damping material to the wood, since that's what's amplifying the sound. On an electric, you don't have that problem. The sound is produced by amplifying the interference a vibrating steel string makes in a magnetic field. The physical things about the instrument that affect it are the mounting points of the strings and their stability.

To be honest, I'm still not exactly sure why that would affect the sound of a guitar differently than poly.

Because lacquer flexes with the wood - it vibrates with the wood.
Poly does not flex - it does not vibrate - it constricts.

Especially because a guitar's electronics are really doing most of the work, no?

No. The sound of an electric guitar is determined by the acoustic sound of the assembled woods and hardware. If that guitar has a dead spot between 500 and 800 HZ, no pickups or electronics will add it back in. Pickups enhance and filter what's there - but cannot fundamentally change the sound of the guitar.

After working there, you'd be hard pressed to find better quality, and more visually appealing finishes for the $$$ elsewhere in the Git-Biz.
Carvin & PRS are the only other ones that are remotely in the same category as far as quality, but you'll pay more $$$ for them.

In my opinion, as a parts manufacturer, this positions Warmoth proportionally higher in the game as it is far more accessible to the consumer financially, and with greater choices.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
After working there, you'd be hard pressed to find better quality, and more visually appealing finishes for the $$$ elsewhere in the Git-Biz.
Carvin & PRS are the only other ones that are remotely in the same category as far as quality, but you'll pay more $$$ for them.

In my opinion, as a parts manufacturer, this positions Warmoth proportionally higher in the game as it is far more accessible to the consumer financially, and with greater choices.

no doubt. i love looking at the top of my tele.

<--------

AirCap said:
To be honest, I'm still not exactly sure why that would affect the sound of a guitar differently than poly.

Because lacquer flexes with the wood - it vibrates with the wood.
Poly does not flex - it does not vibrate - it constricts.

Especially because a guitar's electronics are really doing most of the work, no?

No. The sound of an electric guitar is determined by the acoustic sound of the assembled woods and hardware. If that guitar has a dead spot between 500 and 800 HZ, no pickups or electronics will add it back in. Pickups enhance and filter what's there - but cannot fundamentally change the sound of the guitar.

so when people say that the two types of finishes aren't that different in terms of tone?

i mean, i'm not convinced that i can hear a difference, but maybe there's something there that i'm hearing in my guitars that are nitro-finished that i'm just not consciously aware of

IMO, this is the old "theory vs practice" thing. Can you hear the difference in paint types, in a quantifiable, reproducible way? For the sake of argument, let's say you can. The next question becomes: does it have a greater or lesser effect on the tone than body wood, neck woods, pickups, bridge, nut, scale length, fret material, or electronics?

And the final question: can you hear the difference when the drums kick in?

The testing methods to prove such a tone theory are not even in play.

You'd first have to start with two unfinished bodies that have identical construction and components, and then the testing methods would have to be able to objectively discern if they sound identical.  I would imagine some type of spectrum analyzer or oscilloscope, or an equivalent.

Before moving past this stage, you would have to achieve the result that these two instruments sound identical with a very narrow margin of tolerance.

Only when this determination is achieved, scientifically, not subjectively through the ears of a listener, can you proceed to paint them both differently, then re-test using the same testing standards.

The thing is, no two pieces of wood sound identical, no two pickups sound identical, and no two capacitors/pots sound identical.

Nitro is just part of the "what would Leo do?" motif, and most of what he did a manufacturer was to facilitate efficient/profitable manufacturing processes.

This has matured into a cork-sniffery exclusive to musicians.

Agreed. The demand for components and manufacturing processes that match "the way Leo did it" revolves around the idea that vintage guitars sound superior to new ones, which I believe is a false premise.

I absolutely believe the best playing and sounding electric guitars ever built are being built right now.

double A said:
I absolutely believe the best playing and sounding electric guitars ever built are being built right now.

No question about it. As far as I'm concerned, "vintage" guitars are sucker bait. Nothing I'd want to own. If somebody gave me  a '57 LP, first thing I'd do is put it on ebay and start planning my next house.

Back