Why does Warmoth only offer a bolt on neck and..

Gwalker999

what does that do to a person who is looking for a classic LP build and tone ?  I just saw that I can only get a bolt on neck  :sad1:

Most Warmoth enthusiasts will be quick to tell you that bolt on versus set-neck doesn't have much tone impact one way or the other.

If you really need a set-neck, I've found this site to be pretty helpful:

www.gibson.com

If you're okay with going for something not quite as traditional, Warmoth offers higher-quality, better wood and finish selections, and in the end, an overall better instrument for the price.

Sorry for the perceived rudeness.  The Warmoth license and copies (even the non-Fender bodies) are built to Fender specs regarding neck joint.  There have been custom set-neck and neck thru Fenders, but for the most part Fenders are bolt-on.  Warmoth makes Fender replacement parts.  They do have a suggestion section on the homepage, but I wouldn't see this as a realistic request.  It's not asking them for a custom body option, pickup routing, bridge routing, or color.  It's asking them to change their neck joint construction.

This board has helped me dispell alot of myths I had about finishes, pickups, tone woods, various gadgets, and neck joint construction.  Maybe it will do the same for you.

Having owned and played bolt-on, neck through, and set-neck types over the years, in my little opinion the vast majprity of the very best playing, sounding, and professional grade instruments are bolt-on. I've only become strongly biased after 30 years of pickin'.
Ya want wood-to-wood contact, so that the neck and body resonate together?
Do you think a gob of glue between the two improves something somehow?

Anyway, I could go on and on...listing pros and cons, and the bolt-on will win, hands down, in a points contest...but I wont bore you.  :guitaristgif:

If you got an old acoustic that is in need of a neck reset you will wish that it had a bolt on neck! Correcting a bad neck set in a Fender is a piece of cake.. remove the neck and add the necessary shim, and bolt it back in. With Gibsons you remove the neck (by steaming) which causes finish damage and will lower resale value (because it's modified) then add the necessary shim (or sand the right places) then glue it back in.

Gwalker999 said:
lol  lots of passive aggressiveness in this thread so far

Sorry for the 'tude.  But you have no idea how often people come in and ask this question  :doh:

dbw said:
Gwalker999 said:

Sorry for the 'tude.  But you have no idea how often people come in and ask this question  :doh:
But that is what this board is for. New people do ask many of the same questions and if the vets here get short with them, then the vets are scaring off new people from becoming members.

Gwalker999 said:
Sorry for that.

The tooling for neck through and set necks is very different from what we currently use. Warmoth hopes one day to be able to produce a neck through as just another building option, but speaking as one with a Warmoth LP and SG, there is no tone loss from being a bolt-on neck in my opinion.  Welcome to the board.

The tone of a bolt-on neck (if done well) is better than that of a set neck. A neck-through will produce more sustain, but not all that much more than a really good bolt-on. Bolt-on necks are easier to service if a problem develops. Many Pros, who could afford ANYTHING they want, use bolt-on necks for their signature series guitars...

Case in point, the Johnny Hyland Signature PRS has a bolt-on neck.

And he is pretty good, though he plays a bit slower than I do, and he needs to work on his chickin' pickin to get to my level.

my scare is even though everybody loves Warmoth and I have read a LOT of reviews and talked to some people about them, which they all like the guitars, some say that the 25.5 scale and the bolt on necks when trying to emulate a LP doesnt work as entend as it brightens and thins the sound a bit out of the LP range (which may not be a bad thing in general if you dont care about the classic LP tone)   

They do make 24.75" necks that you can use with their LP bodies. That will really help get the true LP sound. As far as the bolt vs. set for a Paul, I think the bolt neck tends towards a tighter, more focused sound. That's just my experience, even with some bolt-on Epiphone LPs I hear the tighter sound. Not a bad thing in my opinion.

I love my bolt on LP now. But some people cannot get past a LP with a bolt on neck. To some, this is not right. I totally understand this and I think to calm the concern about it the best thing to do is get a Gibson or other type that has the set neck. That way you'll never have that nagging question in the back of your mind about whether or not the bolt on was the thing to do. BUT - if you're like me and have played guitars with both kinds of necks, then you won't worry about it and you'll go for it when you realize you can get THE guitar that you want.

Back