Why does the skunk stripe appear?!

Deep Purple in Rock

Hey guys.

I'm building a vintage Warmoth stratocaster neck, I am confused though when it comes to the representation of how the neck would look like (image to the left that generates when you choose your specs).
Whenever I choose shaft wood (maple) and fretboard wood (maple one-piece) the darn skunk stripe and the skunk stripe colored "big tear" looking thing above the nut appears.
What vintage strat had that design? I was looking through the Fender catalogue and all the ones I found that had both a maple neck wood and maple fretboard had no skunk stripe or "big tear" (what is it called?).
Why does this happen?

Thanks.

For the one piece neck they have to install the truss rod from the back, hence the "skunk stripe"...

Any vintage Fender necks that do not have a skunk stripe are not one piece. If they are one piece they have a skunk stripe.

Warmoth Vintage construction One-piece Maple necks have a Walnut skunk stripe. Mixed-wood two piece necks (e.g. Maple and Rosewood) do not have a skunk stripe.

Warmoth Vintage Modern Construction necks have a skunk strip whether one or two piece.

Warmoth Modern Construction necks never have a skunk stripe and are two piece.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-constructions

Deep Purple in Rock said:
What vintage strat had that design? I was looking through the Fender catalogue and all the ones I found that had both a maple neck wood and maple fretboard had no skunk stripe or "big tear" (what is it called?).

Mid-'59 to mid-'68 was the time Fender did not use a skunk stripe at all, because they didn't make any one-piece necks then.

All Fender made before '59 had a skunk stripe, and the truss rod plug became standard in the early '50's.

In '59, they switched to the two-piece neck with rosewood fretboard, no skunk stripe or truss rod plug was needed because they installed the truss rod before gluing on the fretboard. They only made two-piece necks from mid-1959 to mid-1968, rosewood was the only option from '59-'65. They started offering two-piece maple necks in '66.

One piece necks came back in mid-'68/'69 with the "new" bullet truss rod and all necks, one- and two-piece, made until '81 had skunk stripes. As have one piece necks ever since.

DuckBaloo said:
Deep Purple in Rock said:

Mid-'59 to mid-'68 was the time Fender did not use a skunk stripe at all, because they didn't make any one-piece necks then.

All Fender made before '59 had a skunk stripe, and the truss rod plug became standard in the early '50's.

In '59, they switched to the two-piece neck with rosewood fretboard, no skunk stripe or truss rod plug was needed because they installed the truss rod before gluing on the fretboard. They only made two-piece necks from mid-1959 to mid-1968, rosewood was the only option from '59-'65. They started offering two-piece maple necks in '66.

One piece necks came back in mid-'68/'69 with the "new" bullet truss rod and all necks, one- and two-piece, made until '81 had skunk stripes. As have one piece necks ever since.

Thanks for the history lesson, I appreciate it.

Back