Why are all the photos older than a year ago broken?

PFDarkside

I keep looking for examples of woods, finishes, shapes, etc. and it seems nearly every photo older than a year ago is gone. The Photobucket ones are just low resolution like across the internet but it seems like the ones hosted on the forum are all gone. Are there any workarounds to see these photos?

I looked at mine from two years ago, the only change is I have to click on them to make them bigger.

For example can you see these photos?

For example can you see these photos?

I can see them once I click on each one and it takes me to Imgur, but on the Warmoth forum post they are X'd out.

I can see them once I click on each one and it takes me to Imgur, but on the Warmoth forum post they are X'd out.
I see, maybe past a certain date Imgur stops embedding. I didn’t realize clicking would take me there. Duh.

Wait here’s another one that clicking does not work for…

I see, maybe past a certain date Imgur stops embedding. I didn’t realize clicking would take me there. Duh.

Wait here’s another one that clicking does not work for…

Same, clicking broken on that one.

All the photos older than a year are not broken. This is related to some Imgur links due to embedding changes at Imgur, and it could also be that a particular forum user has deleted their photos.

Another possibility is that with the change in the forum software, so too did the file location paths for images that were uploaded rather than hotlinked externally. The old forum software may have stored pics in something like "unofficialwarmoth.com/images/somewhere," and the new forum system just doesn't have that URL. Cost of doing business.

Another possibility is that with the change in the forum software, so too did the file location paths for images that were uploaded rather than hotlinked externally. The old forum software may have stored pics in something like "unofficialwarmoth.com/images/somewhere," and the new forum system just doesn't have that URL. Cost of doing business.
That’s what I was thinking. Are all the old files just deleted? How long ago was the migration?

I have not seen evidence of that. On the old forum there was not so much possibility to show images in threads and most were externally hosted.

The title of the thread is a false premise, as not all photos in older threads are broken.

I have not seen evidence of that. On the old forum there was not so much possibility to show images in threads and most were externally hosted.

The title of the thread is a false premise, as not all photos in older threads are broken.
More often than not when I click an older link it seems like it’s just boxes. I just want to see wonderful guitar builds!

Also. I very much appreciate all the advice you’ve given me. I use hyperbole often in my speech.

Last edited:
Hyperbole aside, most of those threads linked when you look at that them and right-click on the boxes to copy the image link, it will show they are for the most part pointing to Imgur who have changed how they allow embedding.

Unless the user who posted those images edits the thread to renew the links to something that works, they will be gone.

A similar thing happened with Photobucket some years ago. In my case, I hosted the photos on Flickr mainly and updated the links.

You could try asking the forum users if they may be willing to update the links, but of course, there is no guarantee they will have the time etc to do so.

Hyperbole aside, most of those threads linked when you look at that them and right-click on the boxes to copy the image link, it will show they are for the most part pointing to Imgur who have changed how they allow embedding.

Unless the user who posted those images edits the thread to renew the links to something that works, they will be gone.

A similar thing happened with Photobucket some years ago. In my case, I hosted the photos on Flickr mainly and updated the links.

You could try asking the forum users if they may be willing to update the links, but of course, there is no guarantee they will have the time etc to do so.
Searching through some older posts I also see a few other hosting services that are no longer around. When Photobucket did its major overhaul it really dinged a lot of forums unfortunately.

Do you go back and edit to relink your Flickr images?

Do you go back and edit to relink your Flickr images?

Yes, most photos I had local backups of and uploaded them again to Flickr, then went back to each thread and edited each post so that the photo links were pointing to the images on Flickr rather than the previous hosting.

One example of an older thread where I had to edit from Photobucket to Flickr.

Since the forum software updated, I have also had to edit numerous hyperlinks between threads so that cross-references etc continue to work. One such thread where I did a lot of this was the Welcome to the Forum thread in my signature, which is well worth checking out if you have not done so.

Back