whats required?

stratcat

I have recently rebuilt an old japanese squire strat.
I stripped the old poly off, resprayed, replaced all the electrics. restrung looks and sounds great.

5cff2445.jpg

I quite fancy building my own guitar from warmoth parts.

My question is..

Do the warmoth parts just fit like a kit. i.e. choose my body and neck and just bolt it all together, or is there some luthery involved. If so how much.
I'm quite capable of a bit of drilling and sanding, but I don't feel competent to start measuring out for fitting bridges and nuts!

I quite fancy an SG.

Sorry if this has been done before.

The only thing you'll need, if ask for a finished body/neck (or a neck that don't need finish) is make the holes to the pickguard, tuners, etc... The neck and body will fit ok (especially if don't have finish on neck, but usually it's tight, like use a rubber hammer)

and yes, it has been asked before...

Welcome to the forum!

DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING IN IF IT DOES NOT FIT UNLESS ITS MEANT TO BE A TIGHT FIT LIKE WILKINSON OR TUNER BRUSHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the neck and body does not fit sand it until it does. Hammering it in is asking for trouble. You may split the wood or the neck/body can never come off without damage.

Based on what you did with that strat (looks great btw) I'd say you'd have no problem handling a Warmoth project. :icon_thumright:

GoDrex said:
Based on what you did with that strat (looks great btw) I'd say you'd have no problem handling a Warmoth project. :icon_thumright:
Agreed, just buy the parts and slap her together... :icon_thumright:

That is a purdy Squire...nice job... :headbang:

Thank you for the comments and praise!

I am really pleased with the outcome of the squire. It really sings. It's been played to death for the last ten years at least!

Are there any pit falls to look out for when ordering things. Is it better to order everything together in one go? Do I need to specify anything in particular when I order? (other than the usual preference type things). I am in the UK so would it make more sense to order electrics and smaller items over here?

I must admit to wavering when I can buy a gordon smith SG for around £600, ready built. But I really like the thought that I did it!

Oh the lure of Stainless steel frets, Wenge necks, and hand wound pickups is usually enough to kill off any desire to purchase a guitar that someone else has built.  Then you get into all kinds of interesting ideas for wiring.  It is very nice and all you have to do is drill a couple of holes for tuner set screws, mounting rings on pickups, pick guard mounting holes, and maybe some for the jack or jack accessories.  There is always a little work to be done on the neck/nut.  On the whole you get an incredible thing for the price.
Patrick

rahimiiii said:
DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING IN IF IT DOES NOT FIT UNLESS ITS MEANT TO BE A TIGHT FIT LIKE WILKINSON OR TUNER BRUSHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the neck and body does not fit sand it until it does. Hammering it in is asking for trouble. You may split the wood or the neck/body can never come off without damage.

Not exactly on all cases, and you can screw it as much as with a sand paper.... And on my book neck to body has to be the tightest you can...

but I believe it can lead to misunderstandment to a beginner ;)

so:
If you order a neck that need no finish and it's slightly tight, you can use GENTLY a rubber hammer to put them together.... if it's very tight you'd better sand it a little...

stratcat said:
Thank you for the comments and praise!

I am really pleased with the outcome of the squire. It really sings. It's been played to death for the last ten years at least!

Are there any pit falls to look out for when ordering things. Is it better to order everything together in one go? Do I need to specify anything in particular when I order? (other than the usual preference type things). I am in the UK so would it make more sense to order electrics and smaller items over here?

I must admit to wavering when I can buy a gordon smith SG for around £600, ready built. But I really like the thought that I did it!

tele necks do not fit strat pockets w/o modification... but the mod is quite easy.. will void warrenty..

If you use it as an Ogre you'll, no doubt...

If you use it after think a little and give it some softly try to make sure it will work, not unless you see it won't work and keep doing... my experience is that just a soft hammered put them together with no cry... But I did it in NO ogre way...

NonsenseTele said:
If you use it as an Ogre you'll, no doubt...

If you use it after think a little and give it some softly try to make sure it will work, not unless you see it won't work and keep doing... my experience is that just a soft hammered put them together with no cry... But I did it in NO ogre way...
So, you're saying technique is extremely important?

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
That would be a steinberger you have in the background would it? I like steinberger :headbang:

No its actually a traveller speedster. Great little guitar, well balanced and sounds ok considering there's hardly any wood to it.
The family
3936601a.jpg

Patrick from Davis said:
Oh the lure of Stainless steel frets, Wenge necks, and hand wound pickups is usually enough to kill off any desire to purchase a guitar that someone else has built. 

Yes thats whats doing it! :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

rahimiiii said:

I would think that using a hammer (even a rubber one) could flatten some of the frets and cause major intonation problems...

Back