What was your first electric guitar?

JacobJames

I’ll start:

IMG_7987.jpeg

Aria PRO ll XX-MS 1984​

This was not a good introduction to the electric guitar. I could not sit and learn to play. Also, the electronics were not up to code we’ll say. Eventually it was sold off then I learned on an Epiphone Les Paul Jr special. Some days I wish I still had this thing though. I’m still learning BTW. My fingers are growing soft from my lack of dedication to playing the instrument. There is no lack of dedication to the instrument in itself.

Please share your first electric guitars if you would like below.👇 🙏🎸🤘

jqyn7wx0ux4j2y5mljbn.jpg

Ibanez RX170

The Boring Part

I remember my mom taking me to a small music store for my birthday when I turned 14. I couldn’t play anything except the Nirvana Come as You Are riff so I didn’t really try it out but it was recommended as a good bang for the buck. They showed me the color options from a catalog and I loved this candy green which they called emerald IIRC. So my mom paid for it and it went on order.

The Interesting Part

When we came back to pick it up some weeks later, the sales guy pulled out the guitar and put on on the counter just as some dude walked in the door. He said, “Wait here for a sec. Let me help this guy out real quick.” The guy bought some strings and left. The sales guy says to me, he says, “Do you know who that was?! That was Joe effing Satriani!” I be all like, “But that dude was bald…?” The sales guy pulled out a new guitar mag showing a bald Satriani and it was totally him. I wish the guy would’ve said something. I could’ve had my first guitar signed!

Last edited:
My first guitar was a 1974 Gibson SG. I don’t have a picture but it looked just like this one:

1728756501779.jpeg

I didn’t appreciate what a great guitar this was, and it was a really generous gift from my uncle. I soon sold it to my brother and got a cheap strat, probably MIM. Then sold that to get an Am Std strat. By the time I’d been playing for 12 years and had my first job as a professional I bought a YJM strat that looked like this:

1728757348081.png

Not custom shop but same specs and aesthetics. Had nothing but that until 17 years later when I got bit by the Warmoth bug. Too many builds, buys, and sells to count since I learned to screw things together and take them apart!

It was a tobacco sunburst Strat copy from Service Merchandise (age check; if you don't know what Service Merchandise is, you're too young). I don't remember if the brand was Cort or something along that line.

So given that it was a department store guitar, that should tell you everything you need to know. I was so inexperienced and naive that I didn't know I needed an amp. I wondered why this was such a garbage guitar that couldn't make the rock'n'roll distortion sound I wanted.

But I bought all the guitar magazines and tab books I could find (still no amp, though). I did at least figure out how to connect it to my stereo, however. That was at least one step in the correct direction.

My first electric was a 1960s Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennessean. My friend, and music teacher at the time, signed for me, which allowed me to buy it on time from a music store. I enjoyed it for a few years then stupidly sold it to buy a white Stratocaster (it had to be white, because that's what Robin Trower used on his Bridge of Sighs album LOL). It seems I didn't have the concept that one could own more than one electric guitar at a time. I also bought an old (even then) tweed Fender Deluxe - with the chrome top mounted controls panel. That got sold as well. Ah, the naivety of youth. The guitar looked just like this one:
64 gretsch chet atkins tennessean copy.jpg

harmony.jpgatdude-gtr-1993b.jpgPXL_20241012_192539951~3b.jpgPXL_20241012_192539951~4b.jpg

Mid-late 80s [mostly-]Harmony Strat-clone (from Montgomery Ward/Sears), acquired in 1992.

Built this from about 3 different guitars from parts in my drummer's basement. Acquired in trade for 2 large Pepperoni Lovers pizzas (I worked at the Hut). He didn't want to give me the trem for it so we eyeballed a fixed bridge over the rout (got it pretty accurate!) with some random wood screws. Cut up a Bic pen to use as inserts for the tuner posts, which were narrower than the tuner holes. I was so stoked back then that it had an actual Fender Strat neck plate.

Originally a vintage white body with clear gloss maple neck, I immediately stripped it down and painted it and the pegface black with an edge-peel graphic on the forearm contour (all wth Krylon) and slapped some skate stickers on it. Over the next couple years it accumulated some additional stickerage and the mermaid tattoo on the back of the headstock. I made numerous pickguards for it out of notebook covers before finding some polystyrene sheet (painted with leftover Testors from a model build).

After the finish, which had no clearcoat, began to look atrocious, I carefully removed and preserved the stickers and sanded it all down to wood (revealing an alder or basswood core sandwiched between plies of something else). Not quite sure how I wanted to refinish it, I opted to leave it natural and made a leather pickguard (died and handstitched edging on 7oz veg tan).

The body suffered a major crack from years of bending the neck for tremolo. I plan to repair the body and restore it to my original custom finish. This was my only guitar for the first 2 years, I had to wire it up myself from Day 1 and learned everything about guitar maintenance and mods from it (literally had to have a soldering iron and screwdriver around at all times to keep it playing). But in that first year we played in bars, outdoor venues, huge parties in my drummer's basement, and almost went to studio to cut a demo. Out of high school, I moved to Denver and left the band scene for solo composition, recording around 900 hours on this guitar. It even survived a car fire on the Interstate. Very grateful to still have this guitar and my late father's!

My first was a 1962 fender strat painted purple sparkle. This was in 1967 and I was 13. My parents hated the sparkly paint and my Dad insisted on repainting it something close to olympic white. He did an amazing job and it looked perfect until I loaned to a friends brother and never saw it again. Must be worth thousands now.

It was a tobacco sunburst Strat copy from Service Merchandise (age check; if you don't know what Service Merchandise is, you're too young). I don't remember if the brand was Cort or something along that line.

So given that it was a department store guitar, that should tell you everything you need to know. I was so inexperienced and naive that I didn't know I needed an amp. I wondered why this was such a garbage guitar that couldn't make the rock'n'roll distortion sound I wanted.

But I bought all the guitar magazines and tab books I could find (still no amp, though). I did at least figure out how to connect it to my stereo, however. That was at least one step in the correct direction.
My wife and I used Service Merchandise for our wedding registry!

My first guitar was a candy apple red MiM strat handed down to me by my brother, and regretfully I sold it. I've never really gotten along with strats but the sentimental value was there.

First used or owned? First used was a Crestwood Strat copy that belonged to a neighbor. First owned was a 79 Gibson LP Std in tobacco sunburst. Bought it new in 79 at 15 with money I had saved. Still have that guitar today. It was a serious money maker early on in my career.

Mine was just your standard Squier Stratocaster starter pack, Black with white pickguard, maple neck/fretboard. Wasn't anything fancy, but as a young kid it was like "Hey! This looks like Claptons." Loved that thing. After about 4 years of daily practice with that, and saving money up once I was old enough to get a job at the local grocery, I ordered from Warmoth and put together the Strat I still play today.

As for why Stratocasters, I have a vivid memory of that. When I started 4th grade at a new school, the music teacher had a Sonic Blue Fender Stratocaster in the classroom that he would sometimes play on for us if we were well behaved. I loved that guitar at first sight. The whole aesthetic of it just... spoke to me.

My first guitar was a 21 fret maple fretboard squire with a black body and white pick guard with three single coils. I got it in about 1994 I’m guessing. Sadly the basement flooded and it was on the floor and got ruined. My second guitar was a Jackson with a rosewood fretboard and some cheap Floyd type bridge. I hated my second guitar. It sounded so muddy in comparison. To this day I still love maple fretboard necks the best because of my first guitar. My favorite guitars these days are super strats although not with jumbo frets. Charvel frets feel like speed bumps. I’ve experimented with different frets over the years. I love low wide frets and vintage frets although I just placed a warmoth baritone order with gold fender sized frets. My reasoning is I want harder frets but not SS hard. My favorite guitars these days is my peavey predator and my warmoth 7/8. My current project is to build a warmoth version of my agile with brighter tone woods and a different pickup.

Back