What should I do with this now orphaned Fender Sixty-six neck?

Detroit Rock

I probably will make a strat with it, because I don't currently have a regular one. I have a few things that are close, a Warmoth Tele Deluxe, an Ibanez RG, a Fender Sixty-six that I converted to baritone that is the source of this neck. I don't want to make something that is already done better by those, considering the neck that I am starting with. So, no super strats, HSH, dual humbuckers, or built to be down tuned.

I am not a design artist, so I will probably keep it simple as far as that goes. I am probably going to get a loaded pickguard, if that is still a thing that you can get. I can solder but I really don't like to and that would keep that to a minimum.

I have plenty of time to think about it, I most likely won't start this until next winter. I will be looking around here and anywhere I can for ideas.

As far as specifics that I have come up with so far;

A spalted top with black pickguard, not sure if this neck would fit that look.

A Route 66 theme. Is that too much of a sort of pun, though, to make it that theme because it says Sixty-Six on the headstock?

A plain and proven solid paint job in a standard color. Strats are cool so if all else fails I can always just make a standard strat and have a great guitar.

Attachments

• Sixtysixneck.jpg
    Sixtysixneck.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
Just wait until something jumps out at you in Warmoth's Screamin' Deals. Then buy it and start in at your leisure.

Detroit Rock said:
I didn't know about the screamin' deals. I will definitely be watching that! Thanks!
Yeah, that's a dangerous place to look. :icon_thumright:

Rgand said:
Detroit Rock said:
I didn't know about the screamin' deals. I will definitely be watching that! Thanks!
Yeah, that's a dangerous place to look. :icon_thumright:
That's where I found the body I'm using for my build. Do me a favor and buy the Tele body. That will keep me out of trouble with the wife. That body has been tempting me all week long :evil4:

Just a thought, YMMV. How about a Strat, bright red body, white pickguard, parchment/cream pickups and controls? Simple and to the point classic style.

Maple/maple will go with anything, just about.  This gets my vote!  I know, not a strat.  Not even close.  But it does have a strat pocket.  And just look at it!

MP682A.jpg

Seriously, spalted maple with black PG sounds fabulous.  I'm wondering if you'll find one in the showcase.  I think anything that's in there right now is rear rout.

ghotiphry said:
Maple/maple will go with anything, just about.  This gets my vote!  I know, not a strat.  Not even close.  But it does have a strat pocket.  And just look at it!

That is a cool guitar body type that I didn't even think about. I love those. It would mean going the non-lazy route, though. If i decide to go full build I will put this type at the top of my list.

MikeW said:
Just a thought, YMMV. How about a Strat, bright red body, white pickguard, parchment/cream pickups and controls? Simple and to the point classic style.

Yeah, I dig red Strats. That sounds really cool.

Back