What neck with walnut body, two humbuckers?

Rokstar

I can't decide what neck to build on a walnut LPS with humbuckers. Think I'm using a duncan custom in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. I thought either wenge with rosewood board or all rosewood. I like the feel of an all rosewood neck, never used wenge before, any thoughts?

Wenge is good, very snappy and articulate with most Duncans, but I'd go with a ziricote fretboard. I have 3 with ziricote boards 1 on mahogany, 1 on canary and one on wenge, just as hard and slick as ebony but much prettier.

I personally like the wenge better than the rosewood.  It has a more exotic feel to it.  I also like the look of the striping on the wenge.

I've got a liking for Purpleheart (fingerboard and back) with walnut - the purple with the brown - mm.mm. scrumptious goodness. It's going to turn heads.

Ziricote is interesting... I think it would rock with wenge. Wenge seems to be a popular choice here...

Rokstar said:
Ziricote is interesting... I think it would rock with wenge. Wenge seems to be a popular choice here...
Here's my wenge ziricote...
index.php

rosewood on walnut sounds really.... bad. like you've got your tonepot halfway closed, and a wahwah midway.

wenge with ziricote is much better. I'd even go as far as recommending kingwood. its got the brightness you want, but the  beef and warmth you also want for an allround tone.

besides, wenge feels AWESOME.

+1 for the feel of wenge. Everything I've played with a wenge neck was so much fun and so comfortable.

MM

DangerousR6 said:
Wenge is good, very snappy and articulate with most Duncans, but I'd go with a ziricote fretboard. I have 3 with ziricote boards 1 on mahogany, 1 on canary and one on wenge, just as hard and slick as ebony but much prettier.

+1 on this suggestion by Dangerous  :icon_thumright:
I love my wenge neck and there are some really sweet ziricote fingerboards in the unique choices section at this moment...

Orpheo said:
rosewood on walnut sounds really.... bad. like you've got your tonepot halfway closed, and a wahwah midway.

Hey Orf, can you back that up? I don't think you had a walnut/rosewood lp ??
I know there have been quite a lot of walnut body + rosewood neck combo's on the forum.. I know, because I have "saved" this combo for my Ultimate Strat! I theory the tone should be really balanced. the walnut body is tight and bright, which should be compensated by the warm rosewood.

also, I have never ever heard anybody complain about this before (Connor? Tim ?)

Back