What kind of jack do I need?

O

Orange Tortex

I’m going for a Strat with a 3/4” side jack hole, no active pickups. So do I need the regular mono jack or deep panel mono jack? And what plates will fit it?

TBurst Std said:
Do yourself a favor and get the 7/8 hole. Search the forum for all the reasons why.

What he said.  I have no idea why the 3/4" option even exists.  Probably historical.

And yea, a mono jack, Switchcraft part number 11.

TBurst Std said:
Do yourself a favor and get the 7/8 hole. Search the forum for all the reasons why.
I like using angled cables with side mounted guitars though. Doesn’t 7/8” require an Electrosocket?

rick2 said:
Mono jack, with either a football or square plate.
So what’s the pros and cons of a regular one vs a deep panel?

I went with a 1/2” barrel jack, because I like the clean look of it. Word on the street is I’m screwed (I don’t have the neck or body yet. Very soon.), but we’ll see about that.

Orange Tortex said:
TBurst Std said:
I like using angled cables with side mounted guitars though. Doesn’t 7/8” require an Electrosocket?
By no means at all. Over 50% of factory side jack holes are 7/8

Cosmetics.  Do you have binding?  Do you have some thinning of the wood around the edges?  How does it look to you. You gotta figure it out for yourself as to what you like.

I recommend you go to a local guitar store and you peruse their selection to get ideas.  Nothing like seeing something in real life.  Where do you live?  There might be someone here who can direct you to a place to see actual guitars.

Check out Van Morrison.  It's about Facebook, but it makes a point.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPn2zH_8OmY[/youtube]

TBurst Std said:
Orange Tortex said:
TBurst Std said:
By no means at all. Over 50% of factory side jack holes are 7/8
So I could use a football or square plate with a 7/8” hole? I looked up the body radius of a Strat and the internet says 1/2”, if that matters.

Avoid the deep panel jacks like Ibanez uses like the plague.  They are difficult to clean and or repair.  I love the Planet Waves jack that Warmoth used to sell, but Stewmac has the similar Pure Tone multi contact jacks that work wonderfully.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Avoid the deep panel jacks like Ibanez uses like the plague.  They are difficult to clean and or repair.  I love the Planet Waves jack that Warmoth used to sell, but Stewmac has the similar Pure Tone multi contact jacks that work wonderfully.

What is the story with barrel jacks though, really? That’s what I ordered (1/2” jack hole). I just figured they were a little less friendly to install because the nut was difficult to access to tighten, but people seem to really be down on barrel jacks. Y’all are making me nervous about that LOL.

ChrisMC said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:

What is the story with barrel jacks though, really? That’s what I ordered (1/2” jack hole). I just figured they were a little less friendly to install because the nut was difficult to access to tighten, but people seem to really be down on barrel jacks. Y’all are making me nervous about that LOL.

They cannot be manipulated as far as the contacts are concerned back into proper tension to maintain contact.  Once you have a guitar with this as the stock jack, your jack replacement options are very limited.  Using one of the more standard size jacks with the larger jack hole gives you more options.  For instance, you could switch electronics using the same jack from passive to active, or passive to active, with the same 3 contact jack.  I prefer the active jacks even with passive guitars anyway because of the more rigid contact, and if it happens to get loose, I can bend it back into tension.  You can’t do that with deep panel jacks.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
ChrisMC said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:

They cannot be manipulated as far as the contacts are concerned back into proper tension to maintain contact.  Once you have a guitar with this as the stock jack, your jack replacement options are very limited.  Using one of the more standard size jacks with the larger jack hole gives you more options.  For instance, you could switch electronics using the same jack from passive to active, or passive to active, with the same 3 contact jack.  I prefer the active jacks with passive guitars anyway because of the more rigid contact, and if it happens to get loose, I can bend it back into tension.  You can’t do that with deep panel jacks.

Oh okay. I’ve never had one come loose or fail; I’ve been playing Ibanez S’s and RG’s for years. I have at least three stereo barrel jacks on hand, so hopefully I’m good for awhile. Thank you for the explanation though.

Back