What is the method of a clear paint job?

ZackPomerleau

You know, like doing a Tele that is natural, no paint, you can see the wood? How do they do that, is it Filler, Sand and Sealer, and Clear coat?

If you want no coloration of the wood you will need to use water white finish and clear filler.  Show us a picture of exactly what you want and we can make product recommendations for you to achieve that finish.

http://www.patguitar.com/images/Fender_Telecaster_229020/Fender_Telecaster_229020_01.jpg

Like that, just a cleared Guitar, you know? I love that look, it couldn't be too hard!

ZackPomerleau said:
http://www.patguitar.com/images/Fender_Telecaster_229020/Fender_Telecaster_229020_01.jpg

Like that, just a cleared Guitar, you know? I love that look, it couldn't be too hard!

My friend, if you love that...
Have you seen Tonar's teles?

Like this?  Fill it with oil base paste filler and finish it with lacquer.  Ceck all my post and it you can find the steps there.

IMG_1297.jpg

Like this?  Fill it with oil base paste filler and finish it with lacquer.  Ceck all my post and it you can find the steps there.

IMG_1297.jpg

The second time is because swamp ash is worth it.

If you think Tonar's clear ones look good, check out his butterscotch ones! Made the right way.

Zack,
What you are seeing in the picture is about a week into the project.  They generally take a month to six weeks to finish mostly because it takes so long for the filler to shrink.  I think your seeing it with the first coat of filler and two wash coats. This guitar got finished in a White Blond and then reliced but if you go to this point and then get it cleared and rubbed out I think it would be exactly what you are after.

I would suggest using McFadden’s Water White as your clear because your color comes from the oil base paste wood filler.  McFadden’s water white will not have a future impact on the color due to ultra violet yellowing of the finish.

Research all my posts and you can find out how to it.

Tonar8353 said:
Zack,
What you are seeing in the picture is about a week into the project.  They generally take a month to six weeks to finish mostly because it takes so long for the filler to shrink.  I think your seeing it with the first coat of filler and two wash coats. This guitar got finished in a White Blond and then reliced but if you go to this point and then get it cleared and rubbed out I think it would be exactly what you are after.

I would suggest using McFadden’s Water White as your clear because your color comes from the oil base paste wood filler.  McFadden’s water white will not have a future impact on the color due to ultra violet yellowing of the finish.

Research all my posts and you can find out how to it.
Check out his other guitars while you look  :icon_thumright:

Back