What finish material for a new neck

dwf2008

Hi, I just received my first Warmoth neck and it is beautiful. AAA flame maple, unfinished. Warmoth’s warranty requires that it be finished. I was planning to use tung oil but they specifically do not recommend oil finishes. So now I need to decide what product to use. I want a satin finish and can spray or brush. Expect several coats and can sand and rub in between. I once did a piano finish on a maple/walnut chess board that came out pretty well. So I am not afraid of a little work. The headstock will also have a custom decal. Any suggestions of a product for the best balance of feel, durability, and ease of application?
Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Oil finishes like Tung oil or my preference Tru-Oil are not considered valid for warranty. Whilst Tru-oil dependent on how many layers is applied is adequate in my opinion Warmoth has no way of knowing who applied it and how etc.

So if warranty does concern you enough not to use an oil finish then the simplest way would be to get a spray can of satin nitro.  Another option would be to use satin wipe on poly (which needs to be applied well). With nitro one benefit is that sanding in between is minimal or not needed as one layer "melts" into the other.

They used to accept tru oil but no longer.  I have used tru oil and have had no problem.  If warranty concerns abound then use danish oil or a wipe on poly.

rick2 said:
They used to accept tru oil but no longer.  I have used tru oil and have had no problem.  If warranty concerns abound then use danish oil or a wipe on poly.

How would danish oil not be an oil finish? Also wipe on poly if poorly applied can also invalidate the warranty.

Here is the relevant part of the warranty from the new website.
Necks:

Our necks are warranted to be free of defective materials and workmanship for up to two years from the date of purchase. Necks that require a hard finish, and that are finished by the purchaser will be covered for one year providing the application and type of finish used is deemed satisfactory by Warmoth Guitar Products, Inc. The warranty will be void if the neck does not get a hard shell finish in 30 days of delivery. We do not consider oil finishes or poorly applied wipe-on finishes adequate protection.

https://warmoth.com/warranty

justsomeguy1 said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that for the neck to be warrantied, it would have had to have finish applied at the Warmoth factory. If it ships without a finish, there is no warranty (roasted woods excluded).

Nope!

"Our necks are warranted to be free of defective materials and workmanship for up to two years from the date of purchase. Necks that require a hard finish, and that are finished by the purchaser will be covered for one year providing the application and type of finish used is deemed satisfactory by Warmoth Guitar Products, Inc. The warranty will be void if the neck does not get a hard shell finish in 30 days of delivery. We do not consider oil finishes or poorly applied wipe-on finishes adequate protection."

Shoot I hadn't read that in a while.  Oh well.  I will say never had a problem with tru oil. 

Back