what exotic, no-finish-necessary neck wood mates best with a Korina body?

rockskate4x

I like the warmth of a Les Paul and the articulation of a strat and I figured that Korina was somewhere between Mahogany and Alder...

Now that I've decided on a VIP korina body I am wondering what the best neck wood would be that doesn't require a finish...

wenge with an ebony board. that is still warm, but it feels so damn good, better than rosewood, imho, and it looks classier. the sound, well. its greattttt. bit more mids, smooth highs, but a bit more pronounced than rosewood. rosewood is very warm.

Depends on sound you want; an all Indian rosewood neck will be very similar to using mohogany. A wenge neck with ebony board will be somewhere in between that and using a maple neck. Either feel/play great raw.

I did a black Korina Vip Body with an All Rosewood Warmoth Neck, and it's one of the most punchiest, tightest sounding builds I've done.
It's in the Gallery.

I'm probably going wenge/ebony, but Goncalo Alves & Bubinga are all three are no-finish required beautiful exotics that sit more or less in the middle of the warmth-brightness scale, with Goncalo Alves sitting a bit closer to Mahogany/Rosewood.  I keep thinking about the G.A. but people's  descriptions of Wenge/Ebony not only sound really attractive, and is widely regarded (around here) to be an ideal pairing with Korina (a slight boquet with a full body and slightly dry :) but it's also pretty much exactly what I'm shooting for with my current guitar project.

Chambered-BK/ShortScale-Wenge/Ebony/P90-in-a-humbucker-form-factor. Slap that into an AC30 and it should be a recipe for honking soulful explosive sweet mids.

[subliminal]Someone please buy my fretless bass so I can get the neck ordered[/subliminal]

swarfrat said:
I'm probably going wenge/ebony, but Goncalo Alves & Bubinga are all three are no-finish required beautiful exotics that sit more or less in the middle of the warmth-brightness scale, with Goncalo Alves sitting a bit closer to Mahogany/Rosewood.  I keep thinking about the G.A. but people's  descriptions of Wenge/Ebony not only sound really attractive, and is widely regarded (around here) to be an ideal pairing with Korina (a slight boquet with a full body and slightly dry :) but it's also pretty much exactly what I'm shooting for with my current guitar project.

Chambered-BK/ShortScale-Wenge/Ebony/P90-in-a-humbucker-form-factor. Slap that into an AC30 and it should be a recipe for honking soulful explosive sweet mids.

[subliminal]Someone please buy my fretless bass so I can get the neck ordered[/subliminal]

I hear you I can't wait to order my guitar but I also have to sell one before I order the new one.

I have a couple of wood combinasion for a LP style guitar I wanna build.
It's either mahogany with maple top body with a mahogany/ebony neck, that way I could finish the whole back and neck black
or it could be the same combinasion but with korina instead of mahogany and that's why I wanna know if korina makes a good neck wood for both tone and stability.
Otherwise I'm thinking about mahogany with maple top body with an unfinished wenge/ebony neck, apparently this would sound awesome but I don't know if the natural neck and black body back finish mismatch would look good...
I've also been recommended to use that combinasion but with korina instead of mahogany but I don't want it to suffer from neck dive, also I'd like it to be heavy so I'm not sure about that one.
Korina isn't available at the moment for a body anyway.

Back